Lathe search

LOL Yeah I don't think jack hammers cut anything so much as beating in to submission and breaking.

The Rikon on Amazon is actually cheaper than the one in the store. Unfortunately, unless I can use my Woodcraft gift cards somehow with Amazon, I will have to purchase at the store.

I saw that, but the VS is only available through Woodcraft via Amazon, evidently.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:18:45 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Those are "mini" tools, Larry. A 1/4" roughing gouge? A 1/8" spindle gouge? etc.. Good for turning pens and such, but not much good for general spindle turning. And zilch for faceplate turning.
For a set, the HF is the best for the money. But all the OP really needs to start turning is:
diamond parting tool 3/4" or 1" roughing gouge 3/8" or 1/2" spindle gouge 1/2" or 3/4" round nose scraper
In a pinch, he could make do with a spindle gouge and a parting tool, but that gets old pretty quick. When he gets around to bowl (faceplate) turning he can add a 1/2" bowl gouge.
But don't listen to me, here's a list from the local turners club:
<http://www.inwwoodturners.com/controls/articles/INW%20Woodturners % 20Beginners%20Tool%20List.pdf>

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 03:11:06 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Wull, um, he's buying a mini-lathe, isn't he? ;)
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

I have the Rikon (but not the latest iteration). I think it was a good purchase. I haven't compared it to the Jet and others.
Craigs List, Garage Sales,
You can get some nice used equip for a reasonable price, sometimes a steal.