Considering a lathe....

I have decided I need a lathe. I have aquired an obscure new hobby, gathering wild rice. In order to collect the rice, wooden flails ( also called knockers) are used to knock the rice from the stalks into a canoe. The size, shape, and weight of the knockers are determined by Minnesota statute. They must be smooth and round, no longer than

30 inches or one inch across, and weight no more than one pound. I figure I need a lathe to make these knockers.

Ricing is an obscure activity, not popular at all. this is because it is such hard work. there are no commercially available knockers. Yes, I know that I could just use a branch or a broomstick but here's the thing. The right knockers can increase your ricing efficiency dramatically.

Most of the other ricers I see are Native Americans ( I am not). I have been careful to observe what type of knockers they use and their shape. I assume that these tools have been passed down through generations and the design is very specific. It is widest in the middle and tapers toward the ends similar to a rolling pin but more exaggerated. IIt is very smooth except for that ridge in the middle. They are also larger than my knockers and I am guessing they are sanded down until they are exactly at one pound. A heavier knocker is probably an advantage and this ridge in the middle is likely the most you can have and still be called "smooth". the ridge would aid in the knocking.

It seems that the critical dimension in choosing the lathe is this 30 in measurement. When looking at lathes I notice that they say "working distance between centers". I assume this number needs to be greater that 30 inches. would that be correct?

The reason I am confused it that they will call it a 14 inch lathe because it is the bed capacity but that the distance between centers can be listed as 40". Can anyone explain this to me? here is an example:

is a traditional material for knockers and I have lots of it on my place. It is very soft and easily worked as well as lighweight, attributes which make it ideal for a tool that has a maximum weight for a given size. I have plenty of basswood to allow for the mistakes I am likely to make.

What type or size of lathe do I need to fashion these "knockers". I was hoping to find a low cost benchtop style machine but it looks like i need somthing bigger for these 30 inch sticks. I never want to buy a low quality machine because that has always been a mistake for me in the past. On the other hand, I don't have any other project in mind other than this one and I don't care to spend any more than necessary. Also, what type of tool( s) like skews and chisels will be needed in order to do this job? thanks to all

Lawrence

Reply to
lwhaley

I agree on the smooth and round, but I think this is too much of an intrusion by government. Is this some bill introduced on behalf of plastic surgeons and Dow chemical? Are there certified state knockers inspectors? How does it work, are women tested and inspected when they renew their drivers license?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Lawrence,

I hope you like wild rice, because you are going to spend a few $$$ to gather it.

A Jet Mini lathe is about $290. It has a 10 swing, meaning that it will turn work of 10" diameter. The bed is only about 18 inches long, so you will need an extension to make a 30" knocker. Add another $80 or so.

You can buy a cheap chisel set for about $40 and you are in business.

Once you get the lathe, I'll bet you find a few other things that you might like to do with it. I put in several hours a day on mine.

Walt Cheever

> Basswood is a traditional material for knockers and I have lots of it

Reply to
Walt Cheever

I would also keep an eye on auctions in your area. You may be able to find a good used one for less money.

I googled harvesting wild rice in Minnesota because I was not aware that wild rice grew there. Is this the same rice as what we are used to - that was introduced to the US in colonial days as a cash crop? I always thought that rice grew best in warmer climates - I did not think it grew that far north.

> Basswood is a traditional material for knockers and I have lots of it

Reply to
J. Chris Tilton

Where I come from (Liverpool) knockers are women's breasts! I agree with the Minnesota statute! "They must be smooth and round," Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

->I have decided I need a lathe.

When did "need" ever enter into the equation when it comes to buying a new tools? :-)

Joe

Reply to
10x

LOL, knockers are also breasts her in the USA. I expected and encourage such jokes, hahahhah. This usage is very obscure, I assure you and will not be found in andy dictionary.

Lawrence

Reply to
lwhaley

LOL, thanks Walt for your reply. I already have lots of tools I probably don't need, lol. I'm a freak for tools and love to buy and own them or else I wouldn't be buying a lathe. Yes, I like wild rice quit a lot and figure I can eat one or two pound per week. You might be surprised to learn that ricing can be a profitable activity. It is a 50 million dollar business in Minnesota! Wild Rice can be processed for $.70 per finished pound. The retail price is between 5 and 10 dollars per pound. So you see, there is a profit there. Of course you have to have a truck and canoe as well as other tools...

Gosh Walt, thanks for that reply. I have seen that tool for sure but assumed it was too small. That is affordable for me and I will take another look at it now. I bet you are right to say I will find other projects for it. I have heard that turning can be quite addictive. I live on a 20 acre wood lot and have access to lots of odd shaped pieces of wood that could be turned into bowls or other objects. for now, I am interested in "knockers", lol.

Lawrence

Reply to
lwhaley

LOL, thats a good one Joe. At least you didn't make another knocker joke. You are correct to correct me. I don't really need a lathe. I just want one, which is quite sufficient since I don't have a woman to veto the purchase, lol.

Reply to
lwhaley

Hello Edwin, Congratulations on being the first to make a knocker joke, hahahhaha. Ricing is regulated by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources just like hunting and fishing and a state liscence is required. So you see, there are knocker inspectors out there called the DNR. I doubt though if they put much energy into enforcing knocker design. I'm sure the fine is a very small one.

Reply to
lwhaley

> Basswood is a traditional material for knockers and I have lots of it

A used craftsman will run $70, with tools. But even for $70 you could get a woodworker to knock you out a few knockers.

Reply to
Toller

The 14" means it can turn a piece 14" in diameter over the bed. Distance between centers is the length of the piece it can turn. Now, that doesn't mean that this lathe can turn a piece 14" in diameter

*AND* 40" long as the max diameter is generally over a cut out area of the bed and is meant for bowl turners. __________________

I don't use a lathe much. I have this one from Harbor Fright; it is entirely adequate for my needs. The finish could be better but it is solid and turns wood.

Also, what type of tool( s) like skews and

Various. You could spend $20 - $60 or more for each or you could get a cheapo set. I got the cheapo set...have to sharpen fairly frequently but work fine. My set of eight was - ready? - $8.95. Here's a high speed steel set (mine aren't) for $35.99. I may buy it :)

dadiOH

"lwhaley" wrote in news:1157981003.885532.288680 @d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

That one would be too easy... Too easy.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Now that's affordable and something I will look into. I am a bit of a woodworker and also a do-it-yourselfer or I wouldn't be gathering my own food from the wild. It will be fun for me to buy a new tool and give it a try. I have lots of that nice basswood around to make my mistakes on. also, It can be difficult to hire anyone to do anything in our isolated are, believe it. thanks for that helpful reply.

Lawrence

Reply to
lwhaley

"lwhaley" wrote

You better be careful there Lawrence. In rural areas, word will get out quickly if you have any unique abilities. You start making things on a lathe, every carpenter in the area will call on you to make replacement spindles for staircases and porches.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

dadiOH wrote:>

Yikes, now I am confused. I think I understand that just because a lathe has a 14" capacity doesn't mean it actually has that capablitly. But where you say "40" long as the max diameter is generally over a cut out area of

A typo perhaps??

Lawrence

Reply to
lwhaley

I'll ditto that. I used to have a Craftsman Mono-tube lathe. It was pretty entry level, but you do not need more than a entry level lathe (but not a mini/midi with a short bed) to do what you want.

It's sort of like asking what type of copressor do I need to run a brad nailer... almost any will do.

I suspect that craftsman monotube lathes are one of the more common tools on the used market.

I still use the el-cheapo turning tools that I got with the C-man. I have since purchased better tools, but the cheapies perform remarkably well.

I am not usually a proponent of buying cheap. I sold my C-man for $100 and now enjoy using a far superior JET. But a C-man will exactly what you're asking.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

ning=A0that=A0it=A0will

The Jet is a good suggestion. Another possibility is the Rikon. A lit= tle less money, a little more swing, a little more length, and an extension= is available for about the same price. Of course, it's not a well known b= rand as is the Jet, but I haven't heard any complaints about its quality.

--=20 It's turtles, all the way down

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yes it does. One can turn a piece 14" in diameter BUT that piece can't be longer than can be accommodated over the bed. The bed is frequently cut out near the head stock so a piece of maybe 3-4" thick by the maximum diameter can be turned but a longer - thicker in this case - piece could not be.

Basically, you can turn any piece that will fit between the head and tail stocks (the "maximum length") while clearing the bed (the "maximum diameter" or "swing"). ______________

No typo, you read it wrong. Try this which changes "as" to "because"...

Now, that doesn't mean that this lathe can turn a piece 14" in diameter *AND* 40" long BECAUSE the max diameter is generally over a cut out area of the bed and is meant for bowl turners.

Reply to
dadiOH

I wouldn't mind being a certified state knocker inspector.

Reply to
Nova