Lathe help .. Delta 46-715 or Jet 1442

I don't know much about turning but have done a few small projects with a old Craftsman table top lathe. I would like to get a new bigger lathe. I'll not be doing real large projects so I think this size should suffice. I have seen the Delta 46-715 for $549 new. Seems like a good price but wonder if the Jet isn't better. If you have either of these lathes I would like to know if your satisfied and why.
Thanks, Tim
I have the Delta 46-715. Got it in June '03. The motor died, they replaced it. The tool rest extension arm broke, they replaced it. The handle on the banjo broke, they replaced it. These type of problems could probably be equally likely on any asian made tool. My only real dislike is that the design of the tail stock precludes using a draw rod to keep a chuck tight in the taper. So far, not a huge problem.
TDUP wrote:

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I'll
have
I have the Jet 1442 with the cast iron legs, variable speed, but not the electronic VS and I love the hell out of it! Solid, heavy and nothing has even thought about breaking. The only things I have that come close to a knock on it is that the spindle lock pin won't stay in without holding it...a safety design feature, I'm sure, but still a pain...and the lowest speed is 450 which I'd like to see a little slower for some of the bigger bowl blanks. It works, but it gets kinda "white-knuckle" at times until I get it rounded and in balance.
I know nothing about the Delta, so I have no comments for comparison purposes.
Luck
Mike
I am waiting (not patiently) for a Jet 1442 to arrive in either of the local stores. I like the heavy legs and the VS. There have been several reviews in magazines in the past 6 months. jet and Delta arriving close to the top in most.
BRuce
TDUP wrote:

--
---