Large maple tree section - need your thoughts

My swmbo was thinking of me the other day when she took it upon herself to bring home (two) three foot diameter maple cross sections. Approximately 4 inches thick. I thanked her profusely as a good husband should do when his wife goes to such extraordinary effort to please her man. I then proceeded into the shop to look at them and wonder "what the hell am I gonna do with these"? The only thing I can think of is to make a table or a huge clock. Neither of which appeal to me now.
I welcome any thoughts on your creative ideas... SH
cut them into squares, turn end-grain up, glue together and make one helluva chopping/cutting block.
Bob S.

I've got a similar large end-grain section (not maple, but I wish it was). Every so often I carve a new bowl shape out of it, when I need a custom anvil for coppersmithing or armour making.
I'd chop one up into wide strips, stash it for a year or two to dry, then make an end-grain butcher-block chopping board. Maple would be a good choice for this.
Disks on their own are a nightmare to dry, and they _will_ split (search this ng). If you want to keep them whole, be quick and get in their with the end-sealing wax today and the PEG-1000 as soon as you can get some.

The disks are dry as a bone and have a little hairline crack in a couple of areas (nothing bad). SH