Lapping chisels

I am trying to start a topic on good and favorite ways to lap chisels

I use whatever it takes.
once one is in good working shape, a few strokes with a fine white arkansas stone does it.
if I do some major work on the bevel, or if it's fresh from the yard sale but not too bad, I'll generally work it over with the 100 grit diamond stone
I have one really great (and really abused) chisel that has seen the flat of my grinding wheel for close to an hour so far, and likely has about as much to go.
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:49:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

I use a leather strop charged with aluminium oxide.
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:01:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

that's not lapping...
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:49:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

... snip

You are actually able to find reasonable tools at Tucson garage sales? I haven't found anything beyond a few newish Stanley or Buck Bros tools or new, really cheap planes.
I'm probably looking in the wrong places.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Buying flat chisels in the first place. This has to be my least favourite job for most-boring and least-rewarding.
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:45:36 +0000, Andy Dingley

I've never seen a new chisel that was lapped flat enough for my satisfaction. not to say that the new lie nielsens or some bridge city product wouldn't be there, but I'm not in that market sector : ^ )
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:19:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Cheat.
Japanese
Scary sharp. I use a 9x12 granite block with one surface flat (Grizzly for around $29), start with 200grit SC wet/dry sandpaper (use 100grit if the back is really non-flat), then work up to at least 400grit (higher is better, but flat with 400grit is an acceptable stopping place)
Then use the same setup to sharpen
John