Kitchen Reno Progress (w/pics)

Evening All,

I managed to finish tearing out all the highly attractive faux tile vinyl flooring this week and lay a new sub floor. The sub-sub floor is 5/8" plywood, before the vinyl was put down, an additional 1/4" layer of ply was stapled down (1/4" narrow crown staples, a bajillion of them). The vinyl flooring was then glued down to the 1/4" ply. I used a circular saw to score through the vinyl and the 1/4" ply in about 4' square blocks, then with a couple of wrecking bars, I tore it up. I screwed the existing 5/8" ply every

6" on centre to the joists. I then laid an additional 3/8" ply over the original ply, screwed it 6" on centre into the joists and perimeter screwed each piece with #8 3/4" screws.

The floor is *ROCK* solid now. :).

Demoing the cabinets was fun. Since I need a sink for the next little bit, I had to cut the cabinets out from under the countertop as do not want to remove it as this point. I managed to cut through the garberator electrical cord with the 'cip saw (oops), good thing I had the breaker off)

Things that kill me about the quality of the original flooring in this house, sheets of subfloor that plainly say "This Side Down" face up, duh! Subfloor is supposed to be tongue and groove so that joints that don't fall over joists don't "slide" by each other, most of the sheets were not banged together, or the ply was so crappy that the tongues had broken off years ago making for major squeakage.

will lay 3-1/4" wide prefinished red oak strip flooring in the next few days. Once that is done, time to call the plumber and electrician to do their work and then I can finally start installing some cabinets! The cabinets themselves are sitting in the living room (all 20 boxes) waiting for the face frames to be installed. The FF just came back from the finisher and I will put them on the cabinets while the electrical and plumbing work is done.

Thanks,

David.

rec.ww FAQ

David F. Eisan

Looks like you are doing just fine David. I have done that a couple of times along with taking out walls and enlarging the kitchens each time. What a difference gutting a kitchen makes. I'm sure it will look great once the dust has settled.

Reply to
Leon