Kitchen Knives Wives Tale?

Page 2 of 3

Well, that's a case of much more active metal(s) than iron.
Seriously, no real reason why the nonionic dishwashing detergent should etch steel of any sort more than the anionic high-suds types. Reason for the non-ionic choice is that they behave better in hard or cold water, which is why they're used in the laundry soaps as well.
Agents added to the detergent to help it deal with hard water might affect the steel, but I think the warning against dishwashers has more to do with the opposite end of the knife.
We are using the dry cycle so we don't hothouse carbon steel in a high-humidity environment, right?
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_frm/thread/1aedb05f1e6288a4/efa407dc7f89d7c6?lnk=st&q=rec.crafts.metalworking+dishwasher&rnum &hl=en#efa407dc7f89d7c6
or via makeashorterlink.com
http://masl.to/?W3015296E
-- Mark
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Dec 21, 9:21 am, brian_j snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

*gasp!!*
If somebody were to put my Wόsthofs in the dishwasher, I'd faint.
That just isn't done.
Then again... now I think about it...*thinking*..naaa.. just not done. It doesn't pass the 'gut-feeling' test.
βœ–

That's like driving a new RS4 through a carwash!... even a touchless carwash... just not done.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's like driving a new RS4 through a carwash!... even a touchless carwash... just not done.
Good lord. People spend all of their money buying high-end stuff to prove something. Then they spend all of their time taking extraordanary care of stuff by not using the high-end washing equipment that sets idle.
BTW, many of the good kitchen knives that we clean in the diswasher; and renew with oil every year or so, have been around most of our 40 year marriage.
It isn't low end stuff.
RonB
Add pictures here
βœ–
I though it was the amount of Salt that gets added to dishwashers that does the damage to the steel.... they are made of stainless steel not marine gauge stainless steel... Eddie

Add pictures here
βœ–

Salt? You mean, from the food? There doesn't seem to be enough to damage regular stainless steel flatware.
--
Regards,
βœ–

βœ–

Never heard that before...
--
Regards,
βœ–

βœ–
Eddie wrote:

Sounds as if you have (mineralized) 'hard water'.
We use a rinse agent in ours, as well. It makes the water more wet (honest!) and it slides on off, taking the minerals with it.
Bill
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-0, 12/22/2006
βœ–

βœ–

I would think that's not going to happen at dishwasher temperatures... which are necessarily less than 100C (212F).
--
Regards,
βœ–
brian_j snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

There are 3 concerns with putting sharp knives in a dishwasher. One is the handle material may be damaged or wear out faster. One is the sharp edge will likely get banged around (and maybe the soap is harder on the edge) which will dull it faster and maybe chip it. And lastly do you really want to chance slicing you hand open reaching in to unload the thing.
ron
Add pictures here
βœ–

The slicing is a real concern, especially if you keep them as sharp as I try to. I was glad to see that our newest washer has a dedicated knife rack that keeps the blades enclosed in a guarded area that still allows the washing action to reach them.
RonB
Add pictures here
βœ–

in
try
I keep my knives razor sharp, but I trust myself to be able to pick up a knife without slicing myself. A special rack to enclose the blade so the user does not cut themselves while unloading... sounds more like they're selling dishwashers to users that should not have any sharp objects around.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Add pictures here
βœ–

As there are in mine...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
βœ–
Mike Marlow wrote: A special rack to enclose the blade so the

What company is that? I suspect that they are going to do very well and I'd like to buy some stock if there's any to be had! There's a fine line between those with no sense and those with no sense AND no money. The former buy a lot of stuff that the latter would turn their nose up at. ;-)
Bill

rascal less in the world.
βœ–

Perhaps, but I doubt your investment will be very richly returned. I'd find it hard to believe that would be much of a real selling feature. Now - if someone sold a dishwasher that had a built in knife sharpener that automatically refreshed the edge on the knives when the wife just throws them in with all the other silverware...