kiln dried question?

Hi,
I am going to use 5/4 mangaris for a deck and porch I am building. I want to use the Eb-Ty hidden fasteners with it. Spozedly the wood was shipped kiln dried to 8-12%, but it has been sitting in a big, mostly open warehouse for 6 months, the last 2 of which have been very rainy (Greenville, SC). Will the wood have absorbed moisture under these conditions?
Obviously, a tester is the only way to know, but I don't have one. It is important as it determines the spacing between the boards. With KD, 1/4" is recommended, for air dried 3/32"...Eb-Ty makes 2 different clips to acheive those results.
Any thoughts or advice? Any recommendations on a moisture meter?
thanks,
david

No more that if it was sitting on your deck in the rain.

So, you mean that sitting in the warehouse it is no longer kiln dried?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

edwin,
thanks for the reply...
yes, that is my question...can I expect that the moisture content has risen from 8-12% since it was not kept in a climate controlled environment?
david
Yes it has changed. The moisture content will go up and down during the year as relative humidity changes. That is true of all wood. Cheers, JG
david wrote:

I don't have a link handy, but Googling will find a table of the various woods movements, some move a lot more than others... Discussions on which meters have been done a number of times, a search would help there as well. As others have stated, movement is inherent with wood and I would go with a "worst case scenario" if planning the spacing (allow for max. width when wet, and settle for the gaps when dry). Tom

Thomas H. Bunetta wrote:

    LOL - I doubt that I'd have much knowledge to contribute to this group that most folks would not know way more - but I got a funny story or two.     A neighbor built a board fence and did not leave any spacing at all. Maybe he had seen board fence that someone built up the hill further and painted black. As a privacy thing that one up the hill was like watching a flickering old time movie when driving by. Person later painted it white and then one could not see the nice bikini clad butt strolling about the yard anymore. ;-(     Oh well.     The no space fence was a chuckle right off. Come winter it must have warped well over a foot one way and the other aside from pushing a lot of board plumb off the 2x4's.
    Wish the fellow had built a deck and I'd gotten around to taking pictures of the whole mess.
--
We might have to disrupt the democratic process because the terrorists
might try to disrupt the democratic process.