Killed while cutting down neighbor's tree

Page 2 of 3

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:29:09 GMT, Unquestionably Confused

It was cool, but it was Burke/Robicheaux, without Baptiste.
I like B/R better than B/Texas Ranger Dude, but I really need a Baptiste fix.
And Burke could use a jolt of S King's loquaciousness - the books is good - but too short.
Tom Watson wrote:

Sounds like it's worth a shot even though it's a departure from the norm.

Never read the others. Looked at the novel's description and felt time spent with Fine Woodworking (just to keep this somewhat on topic) would be better spend.<g>

Nah, not his style. Seems to tell you "just enough" to paint the scene but not bore you.

I haven't bought a new book in years - instead I go to the library and check out a big stack of randomly selected stuff. I have finally reached the point where I can read the first chapter or so and just walk away from the book it it's too bad. Usually out of every dozen or so books I will find a couple that are at least worth reading to the end.

Out flipping burgers. Junk sells, good writing doesn't.

Look at the recent crops of TV shows and movies and you can tell that isn't where they are either!

Amen to that.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

<snip>
What took you so long? (Look no further than the 'oldies' music in today's commercials to know that the imagination necessary for creativie writing has basically been sucked ouf of the culture via visual stimulation of one sort or another.)
From college to 1996 my reading-for-pleasure book budget was rarely less than $200/mo. For the past nine years I have read _nothing_ but 19th century English Literature ...from Austen, to the Bronte's, to Dickens, to Scott, Yonge, Trollope, Haggard, Gaskell, Elliot, Crane, Collins, Galsworthy, et al ... there is enough _excellent_ literature from that period to fuel a lifetime of pleasurable, intelligent, and *topical reading. (*nothing in human nature has changed, including the preponderance of ignorance).
.... and (OBWW) all that money can now be spent on tools and material.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/31/05
[snipped the sorry state of modern writing]
When I worked for the government I constantly blanched at the output of the agency for which I worked. Generally, the manuals and directives were well done (made me wonder who was doing the copy checking), but internal memos and notices sometimes bordered on the absurd. And that does not take into account rampant verbification.
If you want to read some writing far above almost anyone from the 20th Century (and I can't think who would be better) try Patrick O'Brian (his Aubrey-Maturin canon). If you have read it, read it again.
In all fairness, the first ten were better than the last ten by a bit.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

Is 'verbification' an example of 'nounification'?
Isn't there a Latin word for both? If so, does thi snot absurdly imply that Latin terms are proper English?
--

FF

On 2 Aug 2005 00:19:06 -0700, the opaque snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net clearly wrote:

Gerunding.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends -- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 06:25:24 -0700, Larry Jaques

No, I think that Gerunds are those little animals that run in packs and jump off cliffs.

Lemons, you mean, don't you?
Like what St. Nick uses to pull his sleigh -- those eight little rind-deer.
Tom Watson wrote:

Nah, the BIG ones are Gerunds, the little ones are Gerundives. It's the students that jump off the cliffs.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net

Gerundives? I thought that was a salad ingredient.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

See, that's why furriners have problem with American. Ya spell the words the same way but ya say difrent. It's a stumper.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net

There is the part-of-speech called the 'gerund'. Created, in English, by taking a verb, adding the 'ing' suffix, and using it as a noun.
AFAIK, going the other way is known as "to verbify", an appropriatly ugly term..
The real problem comes when those 're-colonize the inner city' types try to 'modify' that created abomination back into a noun form. This is frequently referred to, disparagingly, as "verb-on gerundification."
*groan*
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:31:50 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

I'm gonna boldly go to see the Gerundologist.
I think I've split my infinitive.
Or else a farking Gerund done bit it.

<<Snip>>

I can sypathize with that one. Not all that big on Dickens myself, but if you're into Fitzgerald and Steinbeck, you might want to (and probably already have, but everone misses things from time to time) check out Hesse, Camus, Maupassant and Dovtoyeski. All masters of character study in broader social contexts. Oddly enough, Phillip K. Dick is not too bad, either- provided you can look past the borderline insanity of his plotlines. There's plenty to read, it just takes a lot of head banging to winnow out the wheat from the chaff.

Literature doesn't pay, and everyone is out to make a buck. You've got to remember that the publishing houses are playing to the lowest-common denominator just like everyone else. If they can sell a million copies of yet another Grisham novel about a lawyer who does something bad, why bother with printing twenty thousand copies of something that most twits won't understand, and is just going to end up on the bargin rack? Odds are there are a handful or two of fantastic wordsmiths' manuscripts moldering under the newest Harry Potter book.

Don't watch many movies, I take it? I'd hardly call most of that shlock "quality"... Though the special effects are pretty impressive these days.

It is, but we do what we can, right? Ever get that feeling that you're one of those fellas in Farenheit 451 that have to memorize books and keep quiet about it to prevent the firemen from burning you? It gets tiring seeing blank faces all the time.

... snip

just to pick a nit with the nit you are picking, shouldn't that read, "I'm still scratchingmy head, trying to figure out why I read either one, the above story, OR the novel"?
Lee Michaels wrote:

What would you suggest for the dead one?

The writer? Or, the editor?
"Sam" wrote

A pine box?
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:13:20 -0400, the opaque Tom Watson

Yeah, the chainsawyer's line of work has already changed.
--
Our ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouch Samples now available!
Never misplace your portable power tool accessories again!