kevlar gloves with a bandsaw?

Page 2 of 2
It's Toller logic.

of

I use them at work sometimes-
They're itchy when it gets hot, but otherwise work well.

Ever get them in a blade?

Of course not. If he used equipment like that at work, he would not be wearing the gloves.

You're absolutely right- though I did have an employer try to tell me they were required when running a mill once. Eveidently, a few people had been cut by burrs there in the past, and raised a stink about it. I'll admit, I just ignored that particular rule, and started looking for work elsewhere.
They're great for handling rough stock of any sort, though!

Nope, I keep my mitts as far from cutters as is humanly possible while still getting the job done- just like I hope everyone else does.

In my plant, the only use for Kevlar gloves was assembly operations where sharp parts were handled. For instance, the assembly of knives in portable planers was at high risk for laceration until we required the use of kevlar gloves.
I would not reccommend them for use with moving part machinery.
Frank
On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:44:47 -0600, Frank Boettcher wrote:

Working with scary sharp chisels would be a more appropriate employment IMO. Every once in a while one _does_ slip and by Murphy's law it will be the one time that you got careless with your hand position.

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt

J. Clarke wrote:

I wouldn't disagree with "more appropriate", but a slipped chisel will still go straight through a knitted Kevlar glove. Kevlar is tough, but knitted Kevlar isn't mithril.
IMHO, I rarely wear knitted Kevlar gloves. The surface is too knitted and too prone to snag. If I need to handle sharp-edged sheepmetal, then I'll use leather gloves, or leather gloves with a _woven_ Kevlar underlayer (like motorbike gloves).

A chisel is a knife, the Kevlar gloves are supposed to resist knife cuts. I can see a quarter inch getting between the fibers, but not a 3/4. But I've never worn Kevlar gloves so what do I know?

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt

J. Clarke wrote:

Abso-bloody-lutely. 8-(

The best gloves I've ever used were "framer" gloves. I don't recall the brand, but they are excellent for most manual work- they're basically a very tightly woven polyester-type fiber that is doubled or tripled across the back of the knuckles, with leather palms that are re-enforced where it counts. The thumb, middle, and index fingers are cut back to leave the tips free for finer work.
They look a little funny on the shelf, kind of like something a slightly crazy biker would wear, but they do the job nicely.
    --You'd do better with a set of gauntlets; you know, the kind you find on a medieval suit of armor, heh.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Why do weekend projects
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : always last a month??