Keeping Dust out of the Shop TV

Page 2 of 3

Well how are you supposed to watch the new yankee workshop videos and mimick norm's every move?

Good point. I guess it has its place in the woodshop just like a fridge full of beer.
Sorry.
Man, I agree. A TV in the shop would be a major distraction and that could be a safety hazard.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 03:41:49 GMT, "Jim Giblin"
mine's mostly for neighbors that drop by.. it's set up so the best view of the screen is from the driveway.. I usually have it on, bar style, (muted) when football games are on, so I can glance up and see the score or something..

RonB wrote:

The perfect shop has:
* fridge full of beer * TV/DVD player * nekkit wimminz handing you wood and jiggling their jigglies at you * a good first-aid kit * a telephone with 911 on the speed dial
Silvan wrote:

(John)
"Silvan" wrote in message

You forgot the 21st century, techno savvy, cutting edge, woodshop audio tool: an iPod.
Dustproof, and with 10,000 tunes at your fingertips (mine only has 6,378 at the moment, but I'm struggling along).
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I have XM in my shop.
Barry
If you can drink in the shop and work safely at the same time you are a better man than I. Personally, I find myself entering the "stooopid zone" after just one beer and more than that is almost scary. But that is me and to each his own ...
Silvan wrote:

and
fridge
Tue, Dec 21, 2004, 6:05am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (diyguy) says: <snip> Personally, I find myself entering the "stooopid zone" after just one beer and more than that is almost scary. <snip>
It's been many, many years since I've drank even a regular beer, and even quite a few since I've drank any "non-alcoholic" beer. But, even then, I could feel a buzz after just one NA beer, and after two could barely get off the sofa. I do miss the taste at times, but I don't miss the feeling, so I'll pass on any of it, anymore.
This from a guy who occassionally went thru a case at one sitting, and walked away. But, it's better this way.
JOAT Sanity is vastly over-rated.
diyguy wrote:

Oh c'mon man, cut the jokester some slack already.

Really stupid idea.

Really stupid idea.

Would be nice, very nice, but distracting. Hence, a really stupid idea.

Necessary for the stupid person who has the above three items in the shop.
I was being silly. I think about everyone got it.
I do keep a supply of beer bottles in the shop. They go in empty, and leave full. :)
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:04:53 -0500, Silvan
... snip

That was *way* too much information. ;-)
Silvan wrote:

Jeez Silvan. What's with you and all this technical talk lately?
    j4

Depends on what you're doing:
TV & Tablesaw... No way.
TV & Organizing boxes and boxes of fasteners... Absolutely.
or:
TV & Building RC aircraft... No problem.
TV & Bandsaw... Big problem.

Excellent thought.
At the price of TVs these days...... You can buy a decent 19 inch for $100 and throw it away after 3-4 years. DVDs are cheap too but I agree with previous poster they probably are a lot more sensitive..... but for $49 who cares. Also, run yourself a small rotating fan next to TV to blow dust away. Think of all the radios that are playing in the shops for years and years and nobody thinks anything about them.

You could take the approach used in dealing with electrical and electronic gear in a hazardous environment. Put it in a sealed enclosure with a positive air pressure on it from your air compressor. You'd need to feed it with a pressure regulator and use a low pressure setting (maybe 5 psi). You'd also need to have some venting for heat and air flow to let the regulator do its job.
Bob
Kyle Boatright wrote:

I'm
Don't worry about it. When the screen gets too dusty, just blow the whole thing out with some compressed air.
Never done it, but I have an Idea... Get a pleated air conditioner filter, the kind without the wires. Wrap it around the sucker. Apply duct tape. Or did you want it to look pretty?
Kyle Boatright wrote:

For radio and CDs, I bought a "water resistant" smallish set. Worked well for nigh onto two years now. I do vacuum out the CD enclosure on occasion. For TV etc., I would bet that outdoor "moisture resistant" sets exist. Think beach, that land of sand, sunburn and seagull shit.     mahalo,     jo4hn