Jevons 3-D Square for cabinet assembly?

Has anyone had any experience with the Jevons 3-D Square for keeping cases and cabinets square during assembly? I always have trouble keeping things dead on square during glue-up and was wondering if this would help. Thanks

Here's a link:

pduck

I JUST used these squares to build a box for the workshop and they worked GREAT. Held things square and were easy to setup.

Bought mine at a show from the inventor himself.

Was a wise investment of $40. (I got 4 of them). I have the Rockler squares and not used them as much because of the "wider" footprint. Not to knock them at all. I got them because I thought they were good.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjwallace

Cut some triangles about the same size out of plywood and drill holes large enough for clamps to fit.

Reply to
Leon

If you have a friend involved with metal work or construction, you can use scrap pieces of aluminum or steel angle iron. 3x3x1/4 is pretty common around construction.

DanG

There was a article and/or a review in one of the mags this past year as I recall. These were compared along with a set made from some kind of black composite material (Rocklers ?) and some yellow ones - I suppose from Stanley or maybe B&D. At any rate - they were judged fine for typical construction projects but the squares themselves were not square and one set was off by 1/16". They are not precision made so don't expect to hold an engineering square up to them and expect them to be dead on.

As someone else already mentioned - save yourself some money and make your own then they'll be as accurate as you want them to be. I made some out of hard maple a year ago to hold a double-wide French door set square that I was making for my niece. Not that I needed the dead-on accuracy for a door frame but I could hold a Lee Valley 12" square on them and not see any light.....dumb luck prevails again....;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Go find the mag and re read it. The ones that the OP are talking about are machined after forming. It was the plastic ones that weren't worth much.

Reply to
CW

I agree on that but as I remember (and I certainly could be wrong), the author made the point that the advertised "precision" specification of .002" was not met on their sample. None were considered "precision" and the composite ones were definitely not square. I tried doing an on-line search on a couple of the mags but nothing came up. If I do find the article, I'll post the comment.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

I have several sets of the Jevons 3-D squares here at the school and I have found them to be very useful. IMHO well worth the money. The man that owns the company is a real gentleman and stands 100% behind his product.

good luck, Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
mike from American Sycamore

You could give mine a try....www.members.cox.net/bsnikitas Brian

Reply to
Brian In Hampton

I'd more likely buy the Jevons.

Reply to
CW

Just thought I wood give another option.... Thanks for looking though.....Brian

Reply to
Brian In Hampton

Yes, they do help. A lot. Great tools, reasonable price, dead-on square.

Reply to
Doug Miller