Jet air cleaner $150 at Menards

I can see both sides of this argument, and yes I need an air cleaner. My question is how do you define "panhandling" and what is wrong with it. I scrounge a lot of things, and I happen to enjoy my finds. Most people even appreciate it when I get rid of something for them and can put it to a good use.

Reply to
ToolMiser

I consider panhandling to be going up to a complete stranger (be it a person or a company) and asking for something without paying for it, regardless of whether that something is headed for the dumpster, or is already in the dumpster. If they put out a sign that says "free", then that is different.

If I had a friend who was an HVAC contractor, or did business with a HVAC company, then I would have no problems asking for a blower.

Reply to
AL

Are you sure about this? Amazon and Rockler are asking $250 for this unit. And there are no Menards in California, where does that leave me?

Reply to
Gogain

Yes, I bought one.

Just keep your eyes open for the next sale. I'm sure Eagle Hardware, or whomever in your area will have sale.

Reply to
AL

I'm pretty sure panhandling has the notion of "begging" associated with its usage. There may be a fine line between "asking" and "begging".

For those of us who grew up in the Environmental Awareness age - saving something from the dumpster (land-fill) is recycling and probably to be commended.

That said - I'm not predisposed to Dumpster Diving, myself.

Reply to
patrick conroy

I'm fortunate in that my neighbor is an HVAC guy. But I'd be reticent to walk into an HVAC office with whom I had no relationship and start asking to go through their trash pile. But hey, that's me. Which reminds me...the blower in my homemade unit runs for a while and then stops, and then starts to smell hot. I think it's time to hit my neighbor up for another blower.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Do they have a way to mail order one? They don't seem to be selling from their website.

Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie Aldrich

I don't think so.

Reply to
AL

================================== I've got a big blower that came out of a 3-ton Carrier central heat/air system that I saved when I upgraded my inside unit. I was thinking of using it as a heavy duty fan for my shop until I saw this article. That thing can really move the air and is very quiet.

David S.

Reply to
plantsman