Jet air cleaner $150 at Menards

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:59:54 -0700, Larry Jaques

Time?
Barry
calmly ranted:

Not everyone is looking for another construction project when they want to filter their air. For $150, they get something with known performance characteristics and they get it now. Some people have limited time available in the shop and might want to spend it making sawdust instead of an air cleaner. That said, I built one from a blower my neighbor the HVAC guy gave me, which works fine with the small exception that the blower is going out (could be why the furnace it was in was replaced). No worry, though....he can get me another one.
todd
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 19:50:16 -0700, Larry Jaques

While building one could be great fun, it takes up valuable wooddorking time.
Few homemade machines would have variable speed, timed shutoff, or a remote control, all features that I've found useful. If they did, they'd probably cost more to build than buying the Jet unit. Also, many of the shop made units seem to focus on "found" blowers. Paying for a blower changes things significantly.
Barry
calmly ranted:

$150 for a decne tair cleaner seems like a bargain compared to building something of comparable capacity. A box fan does not have anywhere near the air flow of a real blower, so while it may work for your case, its never going to be as effective as the commercial unit.
OTOH if you can get a decent blower there is nothing to prevent you from making something that would be as effective. The key is getting a decent blower, the rest is reltively straightforward. If you can find a used blower for free, its probably worth building your own. if not, I would opt to buy something.
calmly ranted:

system that I saved when I upgraded my inside unit. I was thinking of using it as a heavy duty fan for my shop until I saw this article. That thing can really move the air and is very quiet.
David S.
Are you sure about this? Amazon and Rockler are asking $250 for this unit. And there are no Menards in California, where does that leave me?

Yes, I bought one.
Just keep your eyes open for the next sale. I'm sure Eagle Hardware, or whomever in your area will have sale.

Do they have a way to mail order one? They don't seem to be selling from their website.
Ronnie
I don't think so.