Japanese hand saw

I'm looking for a Japanese hand saw and am having no luck in my local area (Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware). Where might I go or look to find one of these saws. Are they used so seldom that Lowe's or Home Depot wouldn't want to carry them? I even asked a employee where to find it at Lowe's and they had no clue what I was talking about!
i got an irwin japanese pull saw at menards sometime back for about $10. and it was actually made in japan!
irax.
lee valley has several. woodcraft sells them, too

On 14 Jan 2004 06:35:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Basspro*) wrote:

Keep looking. You'll find some easily enough, but they're usually the plastic handled sort (like the awful "Shark" saws). Even if the steel isn't shiny rubbish, the plastic handles rattle.
-- Do whales have krillfiles ?
Try Japan Woodworker (http://www.japanwoodworker.com ). They have a store in Alameda, CA, and I've been there several times--nice people and really good stuff.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Basspro*) wrote in message

Japan Woodworker will have probably the best assortment - there are many types of Japanese saws, each with a range of prices from affordable to "if I ever win the lottery". Lee Valley and Rockler have them as well. The $50 dovetail saws works great - very fine kerf, vry fine teeth and stiffener on the back keeps things nice and straight
charlie b
PC Gameplayer wrote:

Nice assortment of knives too.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Basspro*) wrote in

Please look at Tashiro's site. I have been buying saws from him for 20 years. He is a real straightforward guy and lo! has not raised his prices since 1995!
http://www.tashirohardware.com /

Where the hell were you when I was acquiring japanese saws? Five saws into it and now you tell me about this guy?
All kidding aside, I very much appreciate this link.
charlie b
On 14 Jan 2004 06:35:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Basspro*) wrote:

Generally I think Harbor Frieght carries a LOT of junk, but I bought several Japanese saws there and they work very well. Every woodworker should have a flush-cut Japanese saw. All these years I was using a hack-saw blade to cut off the bungs. The Dozuki works well too, but you need to get used to cutting on the pull.