Is this *real* mahogany

Page 1 of 2
    I have what was sold as Honduran mahogany and it looks like it to me. What is bothersome is that parts of my boards refuse to be smooth..... I can sand (to 220, which is what I read is the max useful for mahogany) or scrape as much as I want and still there are these parts, typically an inch wide and between 6-12 inches long, that remain fuzzy. They don't "tear out" so much as just look fuzzy. A few months after finishing them with oil and shellac, those parts look as if they have sucked up all the finish and some are beginning to lighten up - a blond streak in brown hair, so to speak.
    So, it this the behavior of some wood other than HM? Or is it sapwood? Or is it my bad finishing technique? ?? ??
    Thanx
====Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===={remove curly brackets for email}
I have used mahogany for many years and have experienced what you describe very seldom and never is what is classified as "honduras"mahogany . For that reason I never use anything but Honduras , that is the only way I can guarantee quality . Seems to me you have been sold some inferior quality stuff for honduras prices . You might ask the wood merchant top see his purchase order, if it was offered to him as honduras then he needs to check his sources ....mjh
-- mike hide
"Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter)"

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:41:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter)) wrote:

True Honduran Mahogany gets as smooth as buttered silk, like slipping into the best girlfriend that you ever had.
What you describe is more akin to what goes under the tradename Philippine Mahogany, which is crankier than the worst wife that you could ever imagine, twice as hairy, and not really a mahogany at all.
As per the analogy, they come from different places and have different temperaments.
Actually what you have is African Mahogany and it is usually passed off as Genuine Mahagony It is a good wood but can be a bear to work with. You will also note it is darker and can have some black streaks going through it.
Right now due to the Politcal Climate the supply of Honduras is going to Dry up and Prices are about to sky rocket if they haven't yet.
Phillipine Mahagony closer color to Honduras, it is a lot softer and is generally known as cheap shit.
Good Luck, George
(Charles Bragg (no, dammit,

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:20:04 -0700, "George M. Kazaka"

"That's a bold statement." (cf PulpFiction, Tarantino, 1994.)
How did you intuit that he was dealing with African Mahogany, as opposed to Philipine Mahogany?
Phillipine Mahagony will not do what he described and African Mahagony is notorious for just that. I'm sitting on a few hundred feet of 8/4 African I bought about 5 years ago and do not want to use it for the exact same trouble he had with it, as I said it is a beautful hardwood but a bear to work.
Anytime I call in for Mahogany and they say Genuine, I always ask, Hondourus or African, It usually will be African, If it is Hondorus they will sate so and it will always reflect in the Price also.
George

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:00:27 -0700, "George M. Kazaka"

I would have to disagree. I have worked with most of the woods that are tradenamed as mahogany, including Red Lauan (Shorea negrosensis) and White Lauan (Pentacme "various") which are often sold to the unsuspecting as Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia "various").
These two, in particular, will do exactly as described, depending on the cut.
No doubt to the embargo on Honduras Mahogany . I read the other day that trees are being cut in the Amazon basin at a greater rate than ever before . Now when they clear land [generally worthless for grazing cattle and the reason it is clearcut] instead of bringing the Mahogany to market [ because of the embargo ] they will just burn it with the rest of the cut timber. The only people who are happy no doubt are primarily the American treehuggersand their lobby. -- mike hide
(Charles Bragg (no, dammit,

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:20:04 -0700, "George M. Kazaka"

    Thanks to all who replied - I think George has the best description of what I have. I did get a lot of tear-out while planing but put it up to my technique. I didn't say the 'fuzzy' sections were darker (black streaks?), but they are. The weird part is that now one of my pieces has been around for a few months, those parts are still darker *except* for small areas where they are turning very light - even gray - as though they had slurped up the finish and were drying out. The only remaining questions is - does African Mahogany have the same kind of wormholes in it that I read about for the real stuff? FWW's recent article on Finishing Mahogany showed worm holes just like the ones in my suspect wood.     I bought this wood by mail from a dealer recommended by several on the wreck. Not all the wood has this problem. The 8/4 HM I bought locally has had no problems - but it cost me three times the mail order price. Looks like I got half lucky with mail order.
====Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===={remove curly brackets for email}
Hey Charles, If you got African I can buy that all day at about 3.50 per Bd Ft, Whereas Honduras is about 5.50 and if it 8/4 It will cost more.
Mahogany is a lot like cherry in so much It will darken with age and it does not take to long, I use what is called a water white acrylic lacquer that has absolutely no color to it when i open a 5 gallon can I can see the bottom of the can and see whatever color the can actually is. I have been doing work for a mens Clothing store for several years now and it has been all Mahogany and Birdseye Maple with a Clear topcoat. Everytime I bring them something new they ask me why I didn't stain it the same color, It is not much but noticable and I generally tell them to wait a while.
I have a hunch the extra */4 I have in the shop is going to end-up either in a paint job or being as how it is 8/4 it will make for a nice workbench, Nah to much work two saw horses and a sheet of ply work just fine.
Send Me a viable e-mail address and I'll send a few pics Good Luck, George
"Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter)"

Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter)

+ + + What wormholes are these? Mahogany should not have any. PvR
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:16:00 +0200, "P van Rijckevorsel"

    Why not? But seriously, if FWW says it can (and shows pictures) and I have them too, then.......
====Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===={remove curly brackets for email}

Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter)

+ + + Lots of reasons why not. I am afraid I don't read FWW so I did not see the pictures. Lots of different kinds of wormholes. Big ones, small ones, straight ones, crooked ones, in what pattern?
FWW focuses on woodworking, not on woods When it comes to wood I am not taking their word for it. PvR
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:57:35 +0200, "P van Rijckevorsel"

    Mine and theirs are about 1/4 inch across and occur (to my eyes) singly without any pattern. I have a 1x12x60 board with four holes.

    It was an article by Jeff Jewitt, "Finishing Mahogany" in the August 2003 issue. There is a sidebar entitled "Filling the inevitable worm holes." A quote: "In most extrawide mahogany boards, you'll often find large worm holes near the edge."     I like the natural look so I don't fill them. Jeff uses - gasp - Bondo.
====Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===={remove curly brackets for email}
Charles Bragg (no, dammit, not the painter)

+ + + OK, that sounds like something that may happen even in mahogany. Have had no personal experience with these PvR
Worms, with the exception of the south american variety [about the size of your finger and which I ma told the natives like to eat alive] for the most part do not like Mahogany . As a matter of fact the discovery of Mahogany by the west almost eliminated the use of walnut for that very reason, it's resistance to woodworm infestations .
I have seen mahogany veneered pine absolutely riddled with wood worm on pine side with just a few holes showing in the veneered side .
-- mike hide
schreef

    Well now, you have steered the ID of this wood back to the South American (S. macrophylla) kind. If it were African, I hear you saying it would not be likely to have worm holes.
====Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===={remove curly brackets for email}

Hmm - I'll be unproductive for the next 15 minutes while I reminisce about my own experiences here.

Sorry, that didn't come out right.. Writing faster than I'm thinking.
And when the wife reads this you will probably add "different people" :]
-- mike hide
(Charles Bragg (no, dammit,