is this a gloat? or is Oak just getting cheaper?

I was calling around for lumber prices, looking for some alder and cheery, and while I was at it asked what was currently there cheapest hardwood and the guy at Franklin building said they had Red Oak 3.30 bf s4s which was $0.70 less then s2s alder, I haven't been looking for Oak just becouse I was thinking the Borgs where compeditve in there pricing and there selling it for $7+ bf, there selling Poplur for $4+ a bf
the only thing I could find cheaper then Oak was Poplur, one of the hard wood dealers has it for 2.41 bf and for $.40 he would s3s it
are the Borgs just screwing us here or is the price droped recently and there just not cought up yet?
Not a gloat. I buy red oak around here for $1.90/ bd ft.

SteveC1280 wrote:

so your saying the Borgs are screwing us

They always have.
See attached page for example of what we pay in South Central Kansas area. Some of those shown in the price list are as much as $1/bf cheaper 150 - 180 miles east of here (Missouri, Arkansas - where a lot of our lumber comes from). Actually prices fluctuate and are about .10 to .15 higher than normal now.
http://www.woodsworksqh.com/redoak.html

than the borg. One is a small, family owned cabinet shop that sells hardwood from their rack. The other is a fellow who "let his hobby get out of control" (says he). He sells hardwoods and Baltic Birch ply from his small shop. Both are slightly higher than the distributor mentioned above, but cheap enough to keep me from driving to the distributor which is 30 miles away, for small quantity
Look around your area and your yellow pages ("hardwood", "lumber", "mills", hardwood etc.).
Yes, hardwood at the Borg is way above the price from local suppiers around here in NH

On 02 Nov 2004 20:39:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comremove (SteveC1280) wrote:

Where in NH do you recommend? I've been looking for somewhere in the Tilton area.
-Leuf
Leuf, I don't know about the Tilton area. I buy at Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood.

also goosebay sawmill in chichester "Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way......"
On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:17:18 -0700, Richard Clements

What he's saying is Borgs have always been a lousy place to buy hardwood. Think of buying your groceries at Circle K.
--RC (who has done it on occasion) "You Know Things Are Weird When Arnold Schwartznegger Is Governor of California, Ronald Reagan Is One Of Our Most Beloved Ex-Presidents, And John Kerry Is Running For President On His Vietnam War Record"

S4S???
Bob

I betcha he was quoting linear foot for the s4s red oak. Did you ask about a specific width board when asking the price? I know of no lumber company that sells s4s by the board foot. In Houston, s4s Red Oak typically goes for $3.20 a linear foot in 1x8.

Typically I pay 15 cents per bf to have s3s over s2s.

The Borg is higher and always has been. Screwing you, no. You are screwing yourself if you continue to buy from them and know of a cheaper source.
he said Board foot, and a number of the others I called also quoted at about the same price in s3s and a little less for s2s Leon wrote:

Ok, then if he said board foot and others were quoting about the same price in s3s and a little less for s2s, maybe he thought you said s3s or he looked up s3s and meant to look up s4s. It has happened to me on numerous occasions. It is a lot easier for the lumber company to sell s4s by the linear foot rather than go through the extra step to calculate bf for s4s and then extend that price to bf pricing.

The local borg sells by linear foot. When you convert their prices for Oak to BF it occasionally comes out to $6 - 8/bf.
On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:59:29 -0700, Richard Clements

The Borgs are screwing you. I pay $2.25 a bf for white oak, S3S / random widths. Red Oak is $2.45 a bf, IIRC. The only thing I can think of offhand that is cheaper in Wisconsin is Beech, though I think there are two or three others that cost less than white oak that are slipping my mind right now...
I'm not too sure of the s2s or s2s1e or s3s prices here, but I recently purchased 520 bd ft (a stack 2.5' h x 3'0 w x 9.0 l) of rough cut 4/4 red oak for $100.
-- Woody
Check out my Web Page at:
http://community-1.webtv.net/WoodworkerJoe/WoodworkerJoesInfo
Where you will find:
******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03
* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03 * * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03 * * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03 * * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03 * * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03 * * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03