Is There An Endgrain In Particleboard?

Page 3 of 3

He had to finish the edges where the sheets were going to join in order to control possible moisture. It was at that point he decided to cut the sheets into smaller 'tiles' (making scribing and fitting a lot easier) and the oak became decorative as well. The floor is above grade. I called him and he told me that he put a thick coat of Fabulon on the bottom of the tiles as well, then put it down with construction adhesive. He said he got the idea from an article (which he thinks) he saw in Fine Homebuilding some 10 years ago. The floor looked great 2 years after he did the job, other than the usual 'knockabout' scuffing.
Maybe a search at Taunton's site?
0?0
Rob--->who thinks that the moisture issue would be about the same as an edgebanded bookshelf as the floor is installed above grade.

Yes. The endgrain is far weaker for screw holding, both for pullout and for movement sideways. That holds even more so if the screw is pulling along the wood end, rather than across it. This gets difficult, as I reckon the screw will start _loosening_ more easily along the end, but will tear the wood to pieces across ways more easily.
If the end is clamped between other wood (in a dado for instance) this can change a lot.