Is there an easy way to remove fish eye AND obtain a gloss finish?

The end flap of our dining room table got scratched. It is cherry wood. I sanded it down to the wood, had a Cabot stain custom mixed at LOWES and applied it. The match was good. I put a coat of MinWax rub on Gloss Poly on it. It fish eyed and was flat, no gloss what so ever.. I lightly sanded it and put a second coat on. Same result. So I bought a spray can of the MinWax gloss Poly. Same results, the fish eyes are still there and absolutely NO gloss. I can understand the reason for the fish eyes, but I can't figure out why it will not dry with a gloss shine. Is there anything I can try before I start over from scratch? It doesn't have to be perfect, just a gloss finish.

What is the temperature of your project when applying the finish? Humidity? Because it sounds like 'blushing' to me.
On 3/10/2010 7:59 AM, Tom wrote:

Assuming this is indeed silicone induced "fish eye", silicone contamination can generally only be rectified with more silicone, contained in an additive that is sold as "fish eye eliminator".
Have you tried such a product?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Tom wrote:

By chance was the Cabot stain oil based and the wipe-on poly water based?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA