Is Shellac OK on kids toys?

I have been making little kids toy cars, planes, etc and finishing with shellac. Usually 2-3 coats, sanded /steel wool after each. Mother asked me if it was OK for kid to chew on. I know it's a natural product but... is it kid safe. Cheers Tana

Sure is. To give you an idea of how safe it is, some pills and candies are coated with shellac. Shellac is a excretive of the Lac beetle.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That makes me feel better as I have sold a few now. Thanks Tana
Any fully cured finish is child safe. Well, anything in common use; Chinese black lacquer might not be, as it is closely related to poison ivy.

Toller wrote:

That's arguable for metal-dried oils, particularly old lead-dried oils and maybe even the modern cobalt driers (we could see formula changes in the next few years, because of this concern).
It's certainly untrue for many of the old metallic pigments, such as red or white lead and chrome yellows and greens.

Urushiol lacquers are perfectly safe, once they're cured. However I doubt they'd last well!

The old metallic pigments and lead dried oils are in common use? Where are you?

Toller wrote:

I didn't say "common", you said "all".
He said anything in common use...

Tue, Sep 5, 2006, 1:38pm (EDT+14) snipped-for-privacy@bubana.co.nz (Tana) doth queryeth: I have been making little kids toy cars, planes, etc and finishing with shellac. Usually 2-3 coats, sanded /steel wool after each. Mother asked me if it was OK for kid to chew on. I know it's a natural product but... is it kid safe.
Well, considering that it's used to coat some medicines, some candy, and some chewable kids' toys - yes.
Unless the wood is bad for kids.
JOAT My shop, my rules.

only if it falls on the darlings. Tana
Tue, Sep 5, 2006, 7:55pm (EDT+14) snipped-for-privacy@bubana.co.nz (Tana) attempteth a funny with: only if it falls on the darlings.
When I said, "Unless the wood is bad for kids." I wasn't caring about it falling on the kid; if the kid is screwing around probably serves him/her right. Hopefully that'll teach 'em not to do "that" again.
Some woods are extremely toxic, can even lethal, if ingested. If I recall right it's black walnut you should not use for horse bedding. On readily available type of wood to avoid for projects humans and/or animals will be in contact with is pressure treated lumber; some idiots use it just because it's cheap. For decks, fine. For animal shed, furniture, etc., no. Major mistake. There are other woods that can cause various symptoms, mostly tropical woods I believe. Do a google for wood toxicity, or toxic woods.
JOAT My shop, my rules.
They coat M&Ms with it. Good enough?

CW wrote:

yup good enuff for me Tana
I used to drink shellac thinner when I was a kid, and look at me!
boorite wrote:

Please don't post photos! Tana
Tana wrote:

They'd look kinda like this: