is pine easy to carve?

Page 2 of 2

Thanks, Jim, but that should probably be reversed. :-)
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) Or at least I *try* to put my non-wooddorking time to good use.
Have to agree with Chuck regarding general carving although I must admit I have no experience chip carving it. Seems it has very little shear strength between grain strata therefore any detail either pops off when it is being carved or due to minor bumps, so I at least spend half the time regluing pieces back on ....mjh -- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

pine easy

Chris Pye, a master carver, states that any wood can be carved...except rhubarb. Pine is so readily available its hard to pass up. Advise about radical grain changes is very sound. What you want is a really dull looking piece of wood; but....any wood can be carved. Dave

easy