Is meranti wood safe for food contact?

I live in Malaysia and a commonly available wood is meranti (Shorea spp). Does anyone know if this is safe for food contact - can I turn a salad bowl or a frying pan stirrer from this?

Reply to
Andrew Shih-Kwong Lam

It causes allergic skin reactions in some people.

can't find any reference to it being used for food preparation or storage. Ask a local woodworker.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick