Is meranti wood safe for food contact?

I live in Malaysia and a commonly available wood is meranti (Shorea spp). Does anyone know if this is safe for food contact - can I turn a salad bowl or a frying pan stirrer from this?

bowl
It causes allergic skin reactions in some people. http://bodd.cf.ac.uk/BotDermFolder/BotDermD/DIPT.html I can't find any reference to it being used for food preparation or storage. Ask a local woodworker. -- Ernie