Is horse chestnut wood good for anything?

Page 6 of 6
snipped-for-privacy@e.mcc wrote:

Yes. "Global Warming" is the biggest political propaganda scam to hit this planet in centuries.
"An Inconvenient Truth" is the single most wildly successful Propaganda film ever made - I'd call it Science Fiction, except that there is not one tiny scrap of actual "Science" in the thing. Nor any "Truth" for that matter.
-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@e.mcc wrote:

Umm, yes. Lots of bombast, little, if any, real science.

✖
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 21:57:02 -0700, Mark & Juanita

If you live within 20-30 feet of sea level and plan to live more than 40-50 years, I suggest you sell and move to higher ground.
Add pictures here
✖
Well from what I can make of all the confusing hype written about sea level increase on Wikipedia, written by global warming alarmist is from 18 to 80 inches in the next 100 years, although all of that is prefaced on a rapid expansion beyond todays consistent rate of about 1 to 2 mm per year.
I assume that this global warming will wipe us out since the population explosion, ice age and famine all predicted by the same wack jobs seemed to have never materialized.
On Mar 20, 10:28 am, snipped-for-privacy@e.mcc wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:49:53 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

Stay tuned.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@e.mcc wrote:

I sure am not going to plan my life around the pseudo-science of the global warming alarmists. Their science is so bad, that the label is now "climate change" since their predictions of warming have kind of been blown away by the nasty fact that global average temperatures have not increased since 1998. So, now, if the temperature goes up -- the cause is global man-made climate change, if the temperature goes down -- the cause is global man-made climate change. More storms than usual? Global man-made climate change. Less storms than usual? Global man-made climate change.
So, given the fact that anything that happens is now "proof" of global man-made climate change, what would be required to disprove the hypothesis?

✖

Considering the latest pronouncements are along the lines of "Yeah, well it may be on hold NOW, but just wait 30 or 50 years years and it's all going to happen AT ONCE" I think the hypothesis has been pretty much disproven.
Of course, that won't stop world governments from using the issue as another excuse to steal money.
Add pictures here
✖
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I might suggest that you Google (didn't somebody say that Google is your friend?) on "climate changes". For some basic information look at the EPA web pages and perhaps Wikipedia. This will get you past Rush at least. Utilize some of the references given in these sites to pursue specific areas of your interest. A LOT of scholarship is available to bring you up to speed on the various forces involved in climatic changes.
    mahalo,     jo4hn
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 21:57:02 -0700, Mark & Juanita

...and your degree is in what? Did you even finish high school?
Add pictures here
✖
Lurfys Maw wrote:

As I said, lots of bombast, little science. I guess I should also have added "with a bunch of ad hominem thrown in".
Just to assuage your petty little taunt: Master of Science in Electrical Engineering. I've spent a number of years doing modeling and simulation as well as work analyzing and evaluating both models and system performance for various systems. I KNOW the difficulty, even when I have direct control of a large number of a CONTROLLED test's parameters to obtain results from very sophisticated models that accurately predict a system's performance in statistically meaningful terms. That is one reason I laugh in derision at all of these so-called experts using their models to predict catastrophic climate change resulting from predicted temperature changes at single or decimal increments of degrees based upon data that includes such silliness as using tree-ring data to assess temperature data thousands of years ago and attempting to predict the behavior of a chaotic system with so many variables and closed-loop control cycles such that model fidelity to that level of precision is ridiculous.

✖

Or, as my dad says: "Those idiots can't predict YESTERDAY properly."
Add pictures here
✖
I guess maybe I should keep my political commentary to myself but this sure was alot more traffic than I expected from a little joke about carbon credits. It's been fun to watch but frankly if I jumped in to tried and fight in this battle I'd be an unarmed man. Glad to see so many articulate fellows of a like mind here. I though maybe I was out on a limb all on my own.
On Mar 21, 6:47 pm, Dave Balderstone

Add pictures here
✖

Too far for me to bother bringing a trailer, I guess. <g>

People's Republic of California?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) writes:

Fires and fireplaces are legal in California. Some municipalities no longer allow fireplaces in new construction (but that's not state-wide) and some areas forbid burning on nights when there is an inversion layer (10 or so nights per winter) (also not state-wide).
soctt
Add pictures here
✖
"Scott Lurndal" wrote:

An even larger threat is posed by the possibility of an errant spark during fire season.
You can have a 10,000 acre brush fire in a heart beat, especially if the winds are blowing.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
Common Uses Baskets Boxes and crates Broom handles Brush backs & handles Brush backs &amp; handles Building materials Cabinetmaking Carvings Decorative plywood Flooring Food containers Furniture Handles: general Interior construction Interior trim Moldings Plywood Pulp/Paper products Sporting Goods Tables Textile equipment Toys Turnery Veneer Veneer: decorative
Easy to saw, very easy to glue. Good results in Moulding. Very Stable.
Easy to work with hand tools. Fair to good results with turning or some report easy.
That is a good idea.
snipped-for-privacy@e.mcc wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

A LOT like poplar. Watch the bugs.
Add pictures here
✖
On 17 Mar, 01:05, snipped-for-privacy@e.mcc wrote:

Sweet chestnut yes, horse chestnut not so good.
It's OK. It's not terrible, but it's not good either. It's usable for most things, but there's always something that's better suited, better looking, or better lasting. You'd use it if you have it, but you wouldn't seek it out. It's also a bit variable and much depends on your individual tree.
(I'm in the UK, your local climate and species might change this)
As to carving it, I'd expect it to be workable but quite hard going. It's certainly not basswood.
Add pictures here
✖