Is HD dumping Ridgid tools

Page 1 of 2
Finally with summer over I can get back to doing some WW, but when I stopped by Home Depot it looks like the Rigid tool selection is drying up. Presently they have the 14 inch bandsaw advertised for $299 and I think last fall it was closer to 400! Thinking about picking it up...
Comment requested?

stopped
I guess you have not been here for the summer. This has been discussed many times here. Emerson Electric is no longer making the Ridgid line, but another company will be. New items are starting to show up now. DAGS for much more info. Ed
What's DAGS? Just wondering if I should buy the last Ridgid, Delta, or wait to see the new stuff?

many

wait
Do A Google Search
As for brands, depends on your needs. The new Ridgid table saw looked nice but when I locked the fence down, it was out about 1/8". Obviously it needs some tune-up. OTOH, the Biesemeyer fence on my Delta saw was right on out of the box. Ed
Do A Google Search / DAGS

stv snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.comXXX says...

Another really stupid acronym that someone decided everyone should be using, "Do A Google Search". Frankly, IMHO, it is not so hard, and much more straightforward to simply say, "Check Google", it's only 8 more characters and a whole bunch easier to understand.

says...

Does anyone else find it amusing that while lamenting the acronym DAGS, M&J used "IMHO"? You could just as easily say "I think" and only use 2 more characters.
todd
@NOcomcastSPAM.net says...

The irony was intentional. I agree, "I think" or "In my opinion" makes it a lot easier for people to follow what one is saying. That said, IMHO, OTOH, and other such abbreviations have been around for a long time and have become generally accepted abbreviations and acronyms. Things like DAGS and IDAGS are likely to be merely a passing fad due to the ephemeral nature of internet business entities. A few years ago, it would have been DAYS (Do a Yahoo search) or DALS (Do a Lycos search), or for Usenet, DADNS (Do a Deja-news search).

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 05:45:31 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Amazing just how fast a good *on topic* question goes into the dumper these days <sigh> .
Hyde
What's funny is that I have gotten pretty good at figuring out what they mean. I guessed "Do A Group Search" which has 99% same meaning.
fatheree21

says...

FYI, Google will IPO within 6 months.
lee snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

As did companies like beyond.com and numerous other *.com's. Just because you generate a stock issue doesn't mean you're viable. Note: I certainly don't know whether this applies to Google or not. Google could become the search engine equivalent of Amazon, only time will tell.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Google is different from many other .com companies. One major thing they have figured out is how to have advertizing that, unlike telemarketing and mass mailings, customers don't find offensive. I read an article where average computer users searching for, ie, "flower pots", didn't realize that the "flower pot" links on the right of the screen were in fact ads, and that when they clicked on them, Google made money from the click.
I *HATE* telemarketing and junk mail, but I really don't mind Google "ads." IMO they've hit a wonderful balance.
If they go public I'll check my change & probably buy some shares.
-- Mark
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.no.spam.net says...

Your assessment could well be correct.

Doesn't say much about the "average" computer user. Sometimes I wonder whether "surveys" and "research" that identify these kinds of trends relative to people aren't really generated to deliberately make people look like fools in order to sell more advertising.

Certainly agree with that assessment, Google provides a very good search engine that is not overwhelmed with ads. I do hope their business model proves viable and profitable for them.

I think he was being ironic.

M&J
snipped-for-privacy@yourhouse.com says...

Besides, IMNSHO is usually more accurate :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

I stopped over at a different and all they had was the "old" 14" BS for 299 which I thought was a very good deal so I picked it up. I'm going to leave it boxed until I see the "new" stuff in a few weeks from what they said. So who's using this old model... need comments on the good/bad of it!
Also the TP1300 is down to 329!

Woodchuck wrote:

Good economics, because HD will accept returns with no questions asked. If you need a one time tool or appliance, buy it at HD, use it for the one job you wanted it for, return it and get your money back. Then bitch about HD. I remember a few gloats about this practice. Sorry Mr. Woodchuck, I wasn't being critical I was just ranting. I think you are a heads up shopper. Lord knows, the stores don't give us a break. Hank
Bill, that cigar stinks. Hillary Clinton
ED- apparently the present stock on sale will have the life-time warranty but the new Rigid line will only carry a 3-year warranty. Snap up the bargains while you can. I just picked up the sander and the 13" t. planer and saved several hundred $$ .
Steve
Steve McDonald wrote:

Yeah, but remember that whole hoo-bah with the planer or jointer that self-destructed, where the poster was shown the fine print. "The tool is warrantied for its lifetime, and when the tool is broken, its lifetime is over." Their lifetime warranty is/was nothing more than a marketing gimmick.
Not that that would stop me from picking up some bargains either way, mind you.