Is a Ryobi RE175 router worth repairing?

I think the collet is toast, as it's got a bad case of bit creep. This is less noticeable with some bits, but makes the router pretty much useless for any delicate work.
I was originally going to buy a second more powerful router and dedicate it to a table, but I can't afford to do both. As far a I know the RE175 needs a completely new shaft to replace the collet?
Any thoughts?

Porter Cable, Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Hitachi, etc. You won't be sorry.
Fri, Nov 10, 2006, 11:28pm snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (BillStock) doth queryeth: I think the collet is toast, as it's got a bad case of bit creep. <snip> Any thoughts?
I think you didn't say. But if you bottom your bits they'll creep.
JOAT What's the difference between a cattle grid and a lawyer?
People slow down before they run over a catte grid.
(Bill Stock) doth queryeth: I think the collet is toast, as it's got a bad case of bit creep. <snip> Any thoughts?
I think you didn't say. But if you bottom your bits they'll creep.
Yabbot, but once they've creeped off the bottom they should stop. I was doing some dados a while a go and the bit creeped much more than that.
Sat, Nov 11, 2006, 1:17pm snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (BillStock) doth sayeth: Yabbot, but once they've creeped off the bottom they should stop. I was doing some dados a while a go and the bit creeped much more than that.
So you'd think. Never worked for me.
I bottom my bit, raise it up maybe 1/8", tighten the collet - no creep.
JOAT What's the difference between a cattle grid and a lawyer?
People slow down before they run over a catte grid.
No they won't. Bottoming the bit makes it difficult if not impossible for the collet to grip the shank tightly. After they creep up enough to clear the bottom, they will still be loose.

Thanks, makes sense.
Bill Stock wrote:

My creep problem happened only on some solid-carbide bits; the carbide surface was too polished and slick. For me, the solution was to etch the carbide (chlorine bleach has some effect, but I added a little bit of electricity). With about 20 mA of current, carbide (+) polarity, in a bleach/water solution, the mirror finish clouded up in a minute.
I only dipped the shank in the solution, of course.

Thanks, I'll have to play with some scrap to confirm my results. I still haven't ruled out my collet. I've also seen it happen with my Rail & Stile bit from LV. But I can't swear I didn't bottom the bit.
I've had my eye on the shiny orange Triton router. Such a well rated tool for the $s.