Invisible Shelf Hangers

Anyone know of sources for these? I found one kind on the web at

and something like this is what I'm looking for. I basically want to hang some shelves without seeing any hardware. Shelves will hold the weight of small pictures and light things of that nature. I can make the shelves up to 1

1/2" thick and no shelf will be longer than 36".

TIA

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Pio

I believe Lee Valley Tools has them, but they advertise them for picture hanging not shelves. I suppose the might do dual duty.

Reply to
Upscale

G'day Mike, Have you thought of "Floating shelf" supports. They consist of piece of flat bar with a couple of reds welded onto the flat side. You drill holes the same diameter of the bar into the back edge of the shelf the same distance apart. Screw the Brackets, through the flat bar, to the wall, and slip the shelf onto the protruding rods. Nice and neat, but I wouldn't put any substantial load on them. I hope that I've explained it clear enough, it's as clear as mud to me ;). If I can find a pic or link, I'll posy it. All the best John

Reply to
John B

What kind of source do you want? You've already found one source. Rockler carries them, too.

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Reply to
nospambob

"Mike Pio" wrote in news:W1qwe.10605$go.7380@fed1read05:

I found them at several Ace Hardware stores, and McGukin's (of course).

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Hi Mike, The only fasteners I used were some screws, and none show from the floor. A back board about 3/4" to an inch thick about 3" wide by as long as you want the shelf to be. A 3/4" dado in this "back board" about 5/8" down from the top edge allows a shelf to be slid into it, and supports every 24" cut so they allow the load to transfer to the wall (basically a 90 degree piece with a recurved line for one edge which is notched to allow part of one edge to contact the wall itself). The shelf itself should be a good fit into the dado, and may be as deep as desired. Scale the supports to the shelf. The supports contact the bottom of the shelf when assembled, as well as the wall, and back board and are glued and screwed to the back board. Assemble backboard and supports, and mark and drill holes to later fasten the shelf to the supports.

Find the studs in the wall you want the shelf mounted on or use anchors as needed, hold the backer board on the wall, transfer the stud locations after getting the shelf lined up the way you want. Drill and counter sink through holes for the screws you're using. Now (this assumes you have finished the wood, and allowed for the shelf to fit into the dado on the backboard) mount the backerboard/support assembly on the wall and slide the shelf into the dado and aligned with the predrilled holes (one per support).

They look as though they were glued to the wall. And they can be easily removed if desired.

If not clear I can send a picture. Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

\

The wall mounting screws go into the dado, the shelf hides them.

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

No, Rockler doesn't have invisible shelf hangers (I called a store). I'm just looking for _more_ sources to compare styles/prices. If I can't find others, I'll buy from the one source I found.

Thx,

-m

Reply to
Mike Pio