Invest in Mortiser?

One of my projects for this summer is going to be to build 20 new doors for the horse stalls I am also going to be building. The design of the doors is pretty simple, two vertical stiles and three horizontal rails. I would like to do mortise and tennon joints for strength, so this would require 120 mortises to be cut. I am thinking that this more than justifies $400 for a mortising machine (a single pre-made door can be $250-$500, so it's easy to justify a machine).

Yes it does justify a mortising machine. Even a Multirouter or Laguna mortiser. '~)
I am thinking that this more than

Do you need justification???? :-) Go grab one! -- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com + Over 100 detailed woodworking product reviews now online! + ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Veritas Low Angle Smooth Plane - Kreg Bandsaw Fence - Triton 5" Random Orbit Sander - "Hold-It" Magnetic Drill Bit Holders - Ryobi One+ Cordless Tool System - Kreg K3 Pocket Hole System ------------------------------------------------------------
I created a couple of doors that a horse might appreciate.
I used cheap 2x4 stock and half lapped (I believe that is the correct term) the stiles and rails where they met and pinned them with 1/2" dowels.
For the panels, I used 1/2" nom. exterior grade plywood glued into channels routed 3/4" deep into the styles and rails.
Primed and painted, two years on, they are doing quite well. Staying flat and closing as when first installed.
As to the mortising tool, DELTA has a kit to fit to your radial drill press for under $70 (I got mine on sale for $30!). Given the number of repetitive mortises you intend, the effort to set this up (build a jig, etc.) would not be significant (and you might need to build a bit of a jig with the dedicated tool anyway) so if $$ is an object, consider the accessory.

hello,
I just got a HF el cheapo mortising machine for around $79 (on sale for $99 + 20% off coupon) and it works like a charm (of course, I do not have any comparison to check), but I am more than happy with it!
cyrille

"Dave Nay" wrote in message

Go for it (don't bother with the drill press attachment as it will only disappoint/aggravate in the long run). If you look at Delta, and it won't cost you $400, just make sure that you get the 14-651 instead of the cheaper version.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05