Interesting mailbox/post ideas?

My mailbox is falling apart. I'd love to replace it with something interesting that I can build, instead of buying a junky plastic one or a cheap wood one. Anyone built one? Are there plans around for anything interesting?
I'm also wondering about the post. I once saw a mailbox on a cool laminated post forming an arc.
Thanks, Michael
Norm made a pretty nice post/box combination on last weeks show. I don't see it at the website though. http://www.newyankee.com / Tony D.

: > : > My mailbox is falling apart. I'd love to replace it with something : > interesting that I can build, instead of buying a junky plastic one or : > a cheap wood one. Anyone built one? Are there plans around for : > anything interesting? : > : > I'm also wondering about the post. I once saw a mailbox on a cool : > laminated post forming an arc. : > : > Thanks, : > Michael : > : > : :
Here is a mailbox post from wood magazine. The issue is still available.
http://store.yahoo.com/woodstore/is143sep20.html
That was probably a rerun. I found this mailbox under the plans sections.
http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0110
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:25:02 -0800, Anthony Diodati wrote:

After someone took a baseball bat or similar tomine I made one of a 6x6. M&T a 2" tennon about 6" through the post with enough out fromt for a large mailbox on it. I got the mailbos so my magazines would lay flat, then the PO started rubberbanding them. Joe
Walt wrote:

Hmmmmmm. Mailbox post. I seem to remember something like that a while back.
David :-)
I'll repost some pics of the mailbox/planter I built a couple of years ago to abpw
Google search alt.home.repair where the topic has been discussed ad nauseum.

I don't know about the box, but for a most interesting post read on.
Years ago I had a friend who lived in rural AZ and had a problem with a local drunk and his pickup truck. This asshole took a liking to running down my friends mailbox several times a year. The solution was a piece railroad rail buried 6' deep and bedded in concrete. This was wrapped with old 1 by whatever boards to disguise the rail and to have something to attach the mailbox to. Shortly thereafter the drunk demolished the 1 by whatever boards and totaled his truck. The rail had some shiny new scratches but remained perfectly vertical.
Art

This what i would like to do to mine. But its probably illegal. And besides the vehicle that is responsible for mine is a snow plow, and might still win. Its not actually hitting mine, but throwing heavy wet snow and knocking off the box. I see that LV has a swing away mechanism to counter this problem. My neighbor finally got one. They are not cheap though, about $55 Cdn plus tax. Ken in NS

One 'creative' solution for this is to put in a _tall_ (like 8 foot) post with a crossbar at the top, and hang (literally -- on wires) the mailbox from above. When anything hits it, it bobs out of the way, and then swings back into place.
I've also seen this with bungee-cord 'stabilizers', so it didn't blow around in the wind.

See <http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/d041.htm for the "official rules" concerning mailbox construction. Especially sections 2.1 and 2.2.
It's a good idea to get local PostMaster approval, _before_ constructing. :)
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:59:21 -0500, Michael Press

In my (rural) neighborhood, this would be an ongoing project where you'll get lots of chances to do it right! :-) The last time somebody creamed my mailbox, I installed a heavy galvanized post hanger at ground level, so I can just bolt in a new wooden post the next time somebody takes it out. I suppose one could go the other way and use a steel post that couldn't be damaged, but I like the look of wood.
I just can't see putting any real work into a wood post because of the liklihood of either accidental or malicious damage. I would think that anything really nice would be a tempting target for young stupids driving by.
Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Indeed it is. In thirteen years of living in the country, our mailbox was never molested (we lived on a dead-end road, and the box was in our driveway), but plenty of our neighbors' boxes were, many of them multiple times.
One guy sank a couple of 4" I-beams into the ground about a foot on either side of his mailbox post. I don't know how deep he put them, but they projected upward to about the same height as the mailbox -- which nobody ever bothered again.