Interesting glue-up

Page 1 of 2
The glue-up of the curved, corner section of a 1 1/2" thick desk wall (laminate of two, 3/4" thick, birch plywood sections):
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/OngoingShopProjects
Weldwood "Plastic Resin" glue; applied in early AM temperatures (78 degrees in shop at 6AM, 100 degrees at 3PM); clamp time 24 hours.
As always in these cases, the glue-up was the easy part ... the damn jig was a separate project in itself!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Did you make your own bendyboard? Looks all pro to me. NICE!
On 9/16/2011 10:28 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Yep ... 1/8" x 9/16" kerfs, 3/8" apart. Bunches of them.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

projects.
One memorable project was building some "moon benches". These are an old piece of exercise equipment used by old vaudeville strongmen and other kinds of folks from over a hundred years ago. Long benches up to several feet long in a hemisphere shape. And they had to be strong. So I had to layer two or three of the bendy boards. Did not have to finish them though. the got covered up in upholstery.
That was an interesting project. The "bendyboard" remark brought back a flood of memories. Am I getting old? :(
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:32:01 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Are you sure you weren't remembering bundling boards? http://goo.gl/xCD9F Oops, that's not it.
I meant joggling boards. Yeah, that's it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joggling_board http://goo.gl/7rBd1
-- Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson
"Larry Jaques" wrote

of the half moon bench further down the page.
<http://soloflexforever.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t 4>

And the question is: What did you cut the kerfs with? Tablesaw, Festool saw, something else? Did you consider using wigglewood at all?

A jig for the clamping, jig for the kerfs, or both?
On 9/16/2011 5:43 PM, Dave wrote:

Table saw.

Clamping.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Looks good. That curved corner section is a nice design touch.
On 9/16/2011 11:25 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Had one left of that type ...

Thanks, Lee ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Interesting. Is that method cheaper than buying bendy ply and laminating it? http://goo.gl/P4BFB
Um, what do you charge the client for the 400 extra kerf cuts (SWAG: 100 slots, 4 passes each), or is that included in the overall price? That has to be a $5k+ desk set, eh?
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
On 9/16/2011 12:04 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Since you asked:
It was a "change order". When she asked on requesting the change what it would cost to make the corner a curve instead of square, my response: "Somewhere in the $500 to $750 range extra to incorporate the curve, NOT including materials."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Those numbers fit in my line of thinking. After all, no serious increase in materials...all money. I like making an honest buck. Getting paid for the skilzz.
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:41:42 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

OK. Works for me.

Absolutely. My current task was building a wheelchair ramp platform for a shower in a rental house. The guy's a quad so his teensy little supermodel girlfriend has to wheel his 250# of bones up it to and from the shower. It has to be removable so the shower door can close and the shower look like it did when they're gone. There is $200 worth of honest labor in it but only $27 worth of materials. We have tapers, dadoes, and tapered rabbets, all done in pristine plywood and fir. ;)
-- Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 9/16/2011 9:13 AM, Swingman wrote:

Looks Terrific! Good Execution and good choice on the old school WeldWood glue. Letme know If I can help with any thing, lifting, moving, delivery....
Hey Swingman, nice work, but what kind of band clamps are those? I haven't seen them.
On 9/16/2011 10:13 AM, Swingman wrote:

On 9/16/2011 5:29 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Ratcheting Band Clamps ... Rockler has them, but they've gotten expensive the past few years. I paid just North of $30/each a few years back and they're now $50.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

Any reason you chose to kerf rather than using bending ply?
Lew
On 9/16/2011 7:28 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

*Availability, time, money, no shipping, design (they don't work well in freestanding applications IME ... ie, work better when applied to a frame/structure)
*All these types of bendable sheet goods look great on the Internet, but just try to find someone that carries them locally and has them "in stock", even in one of the largest urban areas in the country. If you do find it, it is always 3/8" and any other size must be "$pecial order".
And, it's why I have the tools to do the job. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

So, how long _did_ it take you to Fester thet thang?