INSPIRATION - Loft Bed System

http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/fu-bs-ash-loft-sys.html
Damn. For the price these people are asking if you're not sure you could do a good job making one yoursef, you could afford to make 3 or 4 prototypes from cheap wood, until you get it right, and still have enough money to make another out of wood of your choice.
JOAT Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. (I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:08:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

But it is a hacker safe site though.........
Oy
Mark http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome /
Markem wrote:

Mark ... followed your link and you had me going for a moment. I thought that you were making a tray for a laptop computer. Nice tv dinner table.
Very nice. Bill
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

It is for a laptop computer actually.
Thanks Mark http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome /
Markem wrote:

If I ever get caught up (yeah, right!) on the stuff I already have lined up, I think I'd like to make one like that for camping ... except that I think I'd give it a hinged top and padded 'nest' so that the laptop could also travel in it and I'd have the lid to hold papers and make it a little less obvious what I was doing. Also, once locked, the table would be a little more trouble to sneak off with inside of a jacket.
Bill
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:08:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

A lot of those sites are for people with more dollars than sense and don't have a clue what they're doing. I'm sure if you looked around, you could easily find a similar bed for 1/2 the price. They're counting on the fact that people are stupid.
Brian Henderson, wrote the following at or about 4/5/2007 11:12 AM:

And that's a bet I'll take any day of the week. So many sheep, so little time to shear them...<g>
On Apr 5, 10:08 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I appreciate the neat things you find for us to consider building. However, this looks like a reasonable charge to me. Looks like two weeks plus for all the stuff included in the 2K price. For me more like four weeks plus. How much you get an hour?
Thu, Apr 5, 2007, 8:31pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth sayeth: I appreciate the neat things you find for us to consider building. However, this looks like a reasonable charge to me. Looks like two weeks plus for all the stuff included in the 2K price. For me more like four weeks plus. How much you get an hour?
Reasonable, eh? OK, you send me the same $2K+ those guys are asking, and I should be able to find someone to make one for you for half of it.
If I was making something for one of my kids, or more likely my grand-dau, it wouldn't matter if I considered my time worth $1, $10, or $100 an hour, becuse I wouldn't factor that in.
JOAT Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. (I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
On Apr 6, 5:15 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Of course if you are going to build one of these units for family it wouldn't factor what you charge per hour. My point was simply that it seems a fair price for a commercially produced bedroom set consisting of one twin loft bed with safety rails, ladder, built in desk on one side, bookshelf and dresser. If you were to find me someone who would build me these units for $1,000 I would expect to get poor quality materials, poor quality craftsmanship, or most likely both.
Fri, Apr 6, 2007, 2:57pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth sayeth <snip> My point was simply that it seems a fair price for a commerciallyproduced bedroom set <snip> for $1,000 I would expect to get poor quality materials, poor quality craftsmanship, or most likely both.
Maybe it would be considered a fair price in your part of the world.
Hell, you can get crappy work and materials fo a lot more than that if you want to pay it.
If I was going to make one, and I'm not, I'd probably make it out of poplar or some other inexpensive wod. It won't matter a bit to a kid, so don't worry about it. The "desk" looks like a simple shelf t me. I'd go to a used furniture store, or yard sale, and get a cheap, sturdy, dresser, clean it up, and re-finish it. Depending on what part ofthe coundry you're in you're talking low hundreds of dllars, not low thousands. Probably 2-3 weekend's work. If you want to buy one similar, shop around, I've seen very similar going for a whole lot less.
JOAT In the rough is just enough.
I forgot to mention. I've been working on a bed design, for myself, for some time now, nohing on paper. I've been having a hard time figuring out some fastening, I plan on it being totally knock-down, if I can. In the midst of all this it suddenly struck me how to do them. If for nothing else, you guys are useful in getting the creative juices flowing. For what it's worth, the prototype will be plywood, for probably less then $100. Then I'll proably never get around to making a final version, so that'll be it.
JOAT In the rough is just enough.

I thought you said you could build one, now you want to find someone to build it. I'll bet the computer geeks say the same thing when they see a 2k computer advertised and they could build one for $1500. Lou

Actually if it is a $2K computer retail, $1k would be more likely with out all the extra trash loaded on the hard drive.
Mark
Sun, Apr 8, 2007, 3:51am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lou) doth sayeth: I thought you said you could build one, now you want to find someone to build it. I'll bet the computer geeks say the same thing when they see a 2k computer advertised and they could build one for $1500.
Yeah, I could build one, it ain't rccket science after all. But I don't want to, so I'm not going to.
JOAT In the rough is just enough.