INFO - Clamping Tips

This is for you guys who think you've got to have a whole load of the world's most expensive clamps before you can operate. Personally, most of my clamps are homemade cam clamps, from about 12" to 48".

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Fancy clamps are for straightening out the bow in a board while the glue dries. :~)

Reply to
Leon

What do you use for the bar? Hardwood or mild steel? Aluminum bar?

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Sun, Mar 19, 2006, 5:25pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@die.spammer.die (Australopithecus=A0scobis) mumbles: What do you use for the bar? Hardwood or mild steel? Aluminum bar?

Two words. Ply wood. I figure my clamps probably average out at about $.25 U.S. each, possibly less, possibly more. No way more than about $1 each, using new plywood.

But, you use whatever you want.

I've posted plans for cam clamps at least twice, probably more. Check the archives. And, of course, you probably don't have that link. So:

Or, just google for cam clamp plans. By the way, I use the cam clamp principle in my planer sleds too. It ain't rocket science.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

J T, the links you posted are old, and now dead. The SSUG website has apparently been reorganized, and there is little there any more.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

Yep, and I'd even saved your pics in my "stuff to build" directory. The question was simply a terse way of saying, "please add slightly more information to your comment so that newbies who haven't seen your cam clamp posts will have a better notion of how easy they are to build."

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis