In-wall stereo cabinet

Hi guys, first time poster and first project that the wife though was a good idea. I'm looking at building a stereo cabinet into my adjoing wall with the garage. Dimensions are approx (W)20in x (D) 24in x (H) 24in. My idea is to open the back of the wall (garage side) and build off of one stud, cutting the other stud and framing an opening, the framing will be built to support the cut stud.

Once the opening is made and framed, I was going to build a basic cabinet out of MDF to slide into the opening and secured to the framed studs and supported in the rear. I'm not to concerned on the cabicet because it will be painted and not to visabe on the inside due to the stereo equiptment and such. The back of the cabinet will be a door to aid in setting up the wiring and a 4in hole for a cooling fan. Not sure how to finish the front, molding painted around the opening for a finished look and maybe a glass door.

Anyways, that is my idea, any other thoughs?

Greg

Reply to
Gottria

Do you park a car in the garage? Do you want car fumes in your house? Just something to consider.....

Steve

Reply to
support

No car in the garage, just a storage/play area. Not sure how thick the wall is, about 4-5in so the box should only hang out the back about

20> "Gottria" spake thusly and wrote:
Reply to
Gottria

What about the hole for the fan? Can't seal that. Even if fumes are not a problem, does it get cold where you are? A four inch hole can be the source of quit a draft.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
Gottria

Check with your local building inspector. The wall between the garage and the rest of the house needs to be fire-rated. Installing a cabinet through this wall will create a fire hazard.

Reply to
sd

If you have a two story house go upstairs and look for HVAC ducts, electrical outlets, plumbing or anything else that may be in the way inside the wall. Good idea to start on the garage side in case you find something unexpected you can easily cover it back up.

Forget the hole in the back, if need be make the cabinet a little bigger for the airflow you need. The book for your equipment will give you the specs probably no more than two inches all the way around. Frame around the entire backside of the box for insulation and cover it back up with drywall. Even if you don't put a hole an uninsulated box of that size will transfer heat in or out of the garage.

Build the cabinet first so you have it ready to shove in the hole once you frame it out. Sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint to get a nice finish.

You probably will want to put an electrical outlet in so you can power the equipment. Also plan how you will get the speaker wires into the cabinet without having them hang out the front.

Go bigger!

RayV

Good thinking Ray, I like your idea of framing the back as well. The good thing about my setup is all the speaker wires, front and surround as well as satelitte cables run right through the same wall. Not sure how to route then into the box, a 2-3in hole off the bottom and then stuffed with insulation? I have an sub panel on the same wall about

15ft away so I was going to drop a 15amp circuit breaker and run a dedicated line just for the AV equiptment. Again not sure how to pass the power cables outside the box. I didn't want to put the AC in the cabinet as I wante dmost of the wiring on the backside since I would have easy access and a much cleaner look on the inside.

RayV wrote:

Reply to
Gottria

Look here for some gadgets that may help:

could put a false bottom that rests on cleats and shove all of the excess wires inside (and the outlet). When I built mine I centered the grommets in the back of the cabinet and you don't even notice any of the wires.

Reply to
RayV

First thought is that you'll have some problems with the Fire Marshall. There is supposed to be a fire barrier between the garage and living quarters.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Thanks Soctt, I have already discovered that. Any ideas to make it fire safe?

Scott Lurndal wrote:

Reply to
Gottria

Drywall, 5/8 is usually enough. Check your local code or just see what is there when you rip it out.

Reply to
RayV