Idea for storage rack in new garage/shop

I'm thinking of putting French cleats every foot up the side of the wall starting at 4' high and going up. To make the cleats I'm thinking of using 1x2 fir and cutting a 45 on the top side, and attaching them to the wall with 2" screws.
my question is, are the fir 1x2's going to be strong enough, or should I use 3/4 plywood cut into 2" strips with a 45 cut at the top.
--
if corn oil comes from corn,
and olive oil comes from olives
Richard Clements wrote:

also I was going to sand them and use deck finish to treat them in a hope to keep them from warping, or would past wax be better?