I stained myself!

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 05:22:41 GMT, "Tim Simmons"

When I build a project, I save a few small pieces of scrap wood just to test the stain and finishes I might use. Sometimes I'll apply several coats of stain, other times just one. Wait a few days (a week is better) then apply a clear finish (shellac, varnish, laquer, tung oil). It is best to follow the recommendations on the can, but even still, use a scap piece first. (I'd hate to mess up a project in a few seconds that I spent several days work.)

Tim S.:
Yes, I'll do that when I have a good project I'm happy with. I'm only a few weeks old at wood working so I'm in the I-don-t-mind-if-it-doesn't-work mode but I'm trying to learn a few things. I cut some wood tonight with my miter saw and trimmed with miter trimmer and then glued them together with wood glue. Almost got a perfect square from 4 triangles. Not quite tho. I also didn't put enough glue. arggggggg.
Tim