I not understanding this?

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:34:47 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

I suppose that you intend "Derby" to be pronounced as "Darby".
I suspect that you suffer hearing the term "Rebate" being reduced to the Neo Anglo Lingua Franca of "Rabbet".
I would further suppose that you decry the differentiation, or lack thereof, between "Timber" and its simplification to the point of the mediocritous - "Wood".
We grew up with "Sycamore", whilst (I do miss being able to use the word "whilst") you enjoyed the "London Plane Tree".
We think of "Oak" as "Quercus alba" or "Quercus rubra" v. "Quercus robur" and we will not go into 'Crimschmidt' just now, as it is an unholy alliance not unlike those that occur in our Appalachian mountain regions.
You have "Deal". We are simply trying to get one.
Ye, we enjoy "Quirks". The physicists have "Charmed" ones but we simple wooddorkers have "Quirk and Bead", which has the charm of being visible.
We eat "Macs" rather than wear "Macks".
We think that "Lorrie" is the name of an old girlfriend whom we drove particularly hard.
There is more - but I have grown weary.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 01:07:46 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

it's the mercury.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

I wonder how many will get that.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

You mean they don't use mercury in the forming of hat brims anymore?
Shame...
David.
J. Clarke wrote:

True,but there is no cure for cancer.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

So, no one that developes cancer is ever cured?
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg wrote:

Is this a trick question?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Apparently. Many forms of cancer are treatable today.
But regardless of the cure, I've seen cancer and I'd rather go of a heart attack.
J. Clarke wrote:

Correction: many forms of cancer are not ONLY treatable, but cureable.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg wrote:

For the benefit of the tape... <quote> "Ahh, but better to go that way than cancer". <unquote>
Meaning the cancer is terminal. Terminal cancer is not curable. :-(
I knew I should of taken a law degree. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

However, not all cancer IS terminal. Therefore, stating "True, but there is no cure for cancer" is an inaccurate statement. That statement did not refer to a *specific* incidence of a person with a terminal illness, but rather the general notion that cancer is always incurable. Fact: a high percentage of folks who are diagnosed with cancer are cured.

Hmmmm.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Since "dado" has been flogged to death, I'll note for you that the wooden rail that goes around the interior of a room is simply referred to as "chair rail" here when mounted by itself, and occasionally wainscoating cap when it is used to terminate the top end of partial wall panelling.
Prometheus wrote:

I did know that. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite