I need help from a brilliant furniture designer!

made it exactly how the customer wanted, to hold a lcd TV. Sadly, they measured the screen only, so the TV and stand will not fit in! She wants me to make the inside 2" higher. The top is a mitered; the bottom is butt jointed. I thought of sawing the bottom out and putting a new bottom below it but that would only gain 3/4". She is willing to pay for "repairs", but I can't think of anything that wouldn't look like repairs. Any ideas of anything that could be done that would look good? The project is butternut.

I suspect it is cheaper and easer just to start over, but would like to salvage it if I can.

I would like to put some walnut uprights in it, and hang the TV from the uprights (losing the stand . I think that would look great, but she doesn't.

Reply to
Toller

You could cut the top off about 2" or 3" down and biscuit joint it with a darker piece of 2" in between the top and lower body. This will give a nice band going around the top.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The grain on the sides runs vertically. That would make it difficult, as the insert would have to be vertical also.

Reply to
Toller

Got any dark walnut? this wouldn't matter about the grain going opposite directions as it will look ok.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Maybe I am not understanding you. If I put horizontal grain walnut in between two pieces of vertical grain butternut it should crack when the wood moves. But maybe you meant something else...

Reply to
Toller

Could you do it like the Earl of Derby said and then put a chair rail type moulding around it? Maybe use a small chunk of moulding and slide it up and down the case till you find the spot that looks best and cut it there? Maybe if you could post a pic of it others may have better solutions for you. Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey

Cut the bottom off and fit a thicker bit of walnut to the base to get the 2". You could do a sliding dovetail joint or a dado.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Build a large fire, toss it in. Problem solved.

Reply to
CW

So why can't you put a stripe of vertical-grain walnut in the vertical-grain section, and horizontal grain for the back? It might take some careful planning to cut the top off your finished piece and glue up a chunk of walnut, but if you glued up a piece that was 6" high x (depth of workpiece) long, you could then cut that down to two 3" high pieces. I think a 2-3" stripe of walnut could look really nice, especially if the base were walnut also. I love the contrast of butternut and walnut - obviously different colors, but very similar grain patterns and there's a similar "warmth" or "value" or "tone" or something between the 2 colors. (As you can see, I don't know the real words to describe the various aspects of colors, but do you know what I mean?) Good luck, and let us know what works, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Use the same butternut oriented the same way; stain it darker or bleach it lighter or use maple for a contrasting band. Some variation of the theme is likely your best bet though.

Reply to
New Wave Dave

Here's another ;-)

Cut a recess inside the bottom resting panel were the TV would sit and if possible a support ledge in the recess for the TV stand to sit on.

Or do you think she might not like that?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Forget that it won't work. :-(

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

How do you mean *Crack* ?

If you where to biscuit joint the new walnut section all round it shouldn't have any adverse effects on the wood.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

"what I have always heard" The butternut will want to move about a quarter of an inch (16" times .2"/foot) from summer to winter. The walnut will not move at all. That movement cannot be contained in the joint, which will crack to accomodate it.

Reply to
Toller

Cut it in half with a bandsaw, add 3" piece with grain running same direction. Rout a recess at the two seams and add a banding strip.Does the TV have enough ventalation?

Reply to
henry

If this was my project, I bet they would think losing the stand would be OK if I told them how much it would be to "fix" it. My first thought before reading your last paragraph was to attach to the VESA mounts that I assume are there to hold the TV.

todd

Reply to
todd

Could you just build an extension box onto the existing box? If the OA depth increase would be excessive then you could remove a corresponding width from the existing box on the TS. Also, on the box stand base unit, why are you showing the butt ends.? Is there a reson for that?

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Orrrr, instead of a banding strip, a nice piece of custom molding in a matching or contrasting color, depending on the customer's wishes.

--Jim

Reply to
KENDALL SEYBERT

Toller, Consider splicing in a 2" piece at the top and covering it on the sides with a decorative moulding. The splice could be biscuited and covered on the inside with a piece of veneer. The LCD screen has a dead spot at the top which isn't used so a smaller moulding arched to see the screen but dropping at the corners to match the side mouldings would not look bad. Anyway you fix it, I would charge a lot, just for the frustration Jim

Reply to
ivy.dolan

You noticed that.... The side pieces have vertical grain , while the front piece has horizontal grain; I didn't think the 6" joint was long enough for wood movement to matter, especially since they are connected with pocket screws. Since the front piece would show end grain I figured I would put the front piece between the side pieces, since they wouldn't be end grain. I didn't think the perpendicular grain would be as conspicuous as it actually is.

Reply to
Toller