I need a machinist here in Portland Oregon any recommendations?

MY guy does not have the time to do the job. I need some planes irons surface ground on one side. anyone know who to go too? these are expensive and I am not good at going around finding people.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Can your guy recommend anyone?
Steve Knight wrote:

took two weeks to call back (G) and he is not in Portland.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
well a miracle today. I get a good list of shops to go too and I have to open up the box of Japanese irons. I had not opened them as why since I thought I would be shipping them again. well what do I find but they are pretty much flat. they finally got it right. when you have 2800.00 worth of irons You don't take chances. take care all.

Fish around at rec.crafts.metalworking, too, Steve.
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

no reply so far.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

If you don't mind going as far as Astoria, here is the feller I use:
Portway Machine Works 503-458-6171 Ask for Gary
He's pretty reasonable price wise and can handle anything. And he's good.
SH
We're in Washington. I can put you in touch with our sales guy if you'd like. We've got a couple of surface grinders that are never that busy. A little further away than what you'd like, I'm sure but guaranteed good work.

DSU Peterbilt over on Swan island has a long history of machine work repair of diesel engines where tolerences are in the .0000's I would think they could make a recommendation. Also perhaps a call to the local INTEL factory to talk to a FAB supervisor might come up with someone.
I have a contact for a water and laser jet cutter and they often need machinists as well.
Alan
If you haven't found anybody yet, a number of years ago I had a serious problem while passing through The Dalles. There was a machine shop that did some really nice work for me there at a good price in very short order. IIRC, the name was Dalles Iron Works.
I know they are a bit east of you, but any port in a storm, etc.
David
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:11:31 GMT, Steve Knight