I made a bowl!

Or is it a tray. Anyway it was fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okwhl-yNKCU

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:21:03 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Nice! I used to do some amateur wood working but nothing like that. After the table saw "oops, brain fart" I kinda lost interest (and a finger). I do appreciate nice work though!
snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

It was a nice interesting video! I liked its quick pace.
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:21:03 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Very nice, Brian. Now you need to get a lathe and really turn out some bowls.
Larry
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:30:55 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:

Yes! I agree 100%. That'll be my next big purchase. I keep drooling over the Powermatic 3520B. I need to convince my wife that I "need" that much lathe. :)
On 2/15/14, 8:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Just sold mine for double what I paid for it. Craigslist rocks. :-)
--

-MIKE-

"IF" you are not turning now and think you would like to get into turning,
Turning is a whole different aspect to woodworking and a fortune can be spent on equipment and tools before you even know whether you will like it or not.
I would strongly advise to buy close to entry level, but a decent brand, lathe and start off with carbide tipped tools, something equivalent to "Easywood Tools"". You really only need 2-3 of their tools to turn almost anything and they do not require any sharpening equipment.
I have owned 2 different lathes for 30 plus years and never really got into turning until the last 5-6 years.
It takes years of practice to become as proficient with a lathe as you are with a table saw. You may not like it or have the patience.
On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:03:43 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Just remind your wife that bigger is better because size does matter.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------- Some more router crafted bowls.
http://tinyurl.com/m5ny3ou
Lew
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:09:06 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Thanks for that Lew! Saved.
I wonder if the router collet extension can stress the router bearings from the added leverage?

Lew Hodgett wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:
Thanks for that Lew! Saved.
I wonder if the router collet extension can stress the router bearings from the added leverage? -------------------------------------------- With out question there is added load on the collet end bearing; however, you are not going to add enough load to cause problems if you only take 1/16-1/8 cuts and let the cutter do it's job.
IOW, don't get in a hurry and try to force the cut.
Take only enough material fast enough to prevent burning.
Lew