I hate dovetails

Page 3 of 3
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 05:29:08 GMT, patriarch

Those are great - my favoured way of making drawers quickly
The trick is to spend forever and a half setting them up, then to machine a setting block at those settings. Next time you use the block to set them up correctly, first time.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:27:21 +0100, Andy Dingley

This tip is good for any router bit. I have a block with 8 different sizes of chamfers, rail and stile blocks, raised panel blocks, etc...
Barry
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 05:29:08 GMT, patriarch

OR, one could do the initial setup, make a decent set of drawer sides, and
1) measure the cutter height 2) mark it on the board 3) save the piece for use as a template. Repeat for each thickness board you will cut.
OR, simply cut a miter a board properly and save that as a Go/Nogo gauge. Set up the router/table with that as the height guide. It oughta be good to within 0.010", don't you think?
--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

My homepage

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland /
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:25:01 -0400, "Kentucky Highlander"

Lousy dovetailer, IMHE. Mine has a _lot_ of dust on it these days.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley wrote:

Could you explain why it's a lousy dovetailer?
-Peter De Smidt
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:42:40 -0500, Peter De Smidt

It's not really bad at dovetailing, just very limited for what it can do it on.
Dovetailing (or box joint cutting) with the Incra relies on a sliding carriage that runs on the fence. You clamp the stock to the carriage, then make multiple passes for each tail, according to the strip and the fence settings.
The problem is lack of rigidity in that sliding carriage. It's poorly guided by the fence and this gets worse the wider the piece of stock you have clamped to it. If you're making small boxes, then it's probably fine for you. For any joint longer than 4" though it becomes awkward, and 6" is about the limit.
I'd much rather have a long finger jig, where I can clamp the board edges in, then move a hand-held router over them.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley wrote:

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply. I can see how that would be a potential problem.
On another matter, I recently received an foul-mouthed email from someone named Greg Millen, whom I've never heard of. In googling him, it seems that he posts here. Since my only recent post here was earlier in this thread, where I asked Andy to explain what he meant, I'm at a loss as to how I offended Mr. Millen. Not that I care, mind you, as it's obvious what type of person he is. This is just a heads up for others in case you get a peurile message from him.
-Peter De Smidt
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:23:26 -0500, Peter De Smidt

wasn't him. it was a troll impersonating him.
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:23:26 -0500, Peter De Smidt

I very much doubt that - there's a lot of forged trollmail flying around at the moment, concerned with the formation of a new rec.woodworking.all-ages group. The new wannabee-moderator has already described the existing group as a "sewer", and as it's not living up to its billing, someone seems to be busy trying to pretend it is.
My apologies for your email, but I doubt very much it came from either Greg or Dave Balderstone.
BTW - I was trolled last week, and I'm expecting a batch of these emails to go out soon with my name on them. To save any possible confusion, I _never_ send out abusive emails. If I'm going to call any poster names, I'll do it on Usenet.
Well, I received one of these messages too. I honestly do not even remeber seeing the posts regarding the new group you mentioned. Really irritating having that kind of message show up on a family computer.
I responded directly to Mr Millen. Will be interesting to see if he responds.

    Greetings and Salutations....     *snip*

    Hum..that is interesting, as I received such an email today. Now..I dropped a note back thanking him for the input, and inquiring as to what triggered it...and now I kind of reget it, as I fear that someone spammed these out, in order to overwhelm Mr. Millen's mailbox with traffic.     I was a tad puzzled because, as far as I could tell from a google search, I had not posted to anything HE had...     Sigh.     Regards     dave mundt

What about box joints? Easy to do, once you have your jig (don't forget to note the required dado shims/settings on the jig!) What about rabbet joints with reinforcing, decorative small dowels, or brass pins ala Mr. Marks? Then, if you don't want to buy an expensive router bit for occaisional use, there's always creating your own locking joint, dado in the sides and rabbet in the front. I used this on poplar shop drawers, with maple fronts added, they are holding up well to heavy, nearly daily use.
In 80 minutes you could have built the four drawers with hand cut dovetails. The best instruction I have ever found on the subject is from Taunton Press. The title is something like "Frank Klaus cuts dovetails". -Rick