i forgot the formula...

hi,
if i use a 2 3/8 hole saw to drill a hole in a door what will the diameter of the circle be? (guess i should go back to high school, eh)?
thanks,
sammy
um, uh, am I missing something here?

The formula is E = MC^2.
But a 2 3/8" hole saw will usually make a 2 3/8" diameter hole. The radius will be 1 3/16 and the circumference will be 1 3/16 x 3.1415
30g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

pi * d = circumference, no? (2 3/8 * 3.1415) ?
Patriarch

Actually, the diameter, what he asked for, is the width of the hole, 2 3/8". I guess he assumes that the diameter of the hole that he drills with a 2 3/8" hole saw will be different because of the kerf.
wrote in

The OP asked a different question than Oughtsix tried to answer. And Oughtsix has been out of geometry class for a while, so I tried to correct that.
Do I still not win? ;)
BTW, Leon, nice square jig in ABPW today.
Patriarch

2 points for Jonny on the spot. ;~)

Thanks, the original posted jig inspired me to design one that would not need any measurements to interfere with an accurate build.
Yep, my highschool geometry is turning over in her grave.

Your high school English teacher probably isn't doing much better. ;-)
Puckdropper

How thick is the hole saw blade? Tom

Or rather, kerf. Tom

That would be piD or 3.14x diameter
Pete
whoops. meant circumference. but i figured it out. sorry for the confusion.
thanks,
sammy

It will be 2 3/8" and the wrong size for your door knob. Your standard door knob will need a 2 1/8" hole.
Mike O.

Did he mention a door knob? ;~)
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 13:22:06 GMT, "Leon"

I guess I've worked too many doors!
Mike O.

That would be d x 1 In this case, 2.375 x 1.0000000 = 2.375
Don't stop at high school, keep going back.
sammy wrote: | hi, | | if i use a 2 3/8 hole saw to drill a hole in a door what will the | diameter of the circle be? (guess i should go back to high school, | eh)?
D = D
:-D