I cannot believe how much wood costs

jm wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

There's a couple of different ways.

  1. you could pour a footer and lay one course of cinder block then frame your shed with common lumber. One foot of air circulating under floor.
  2. frame the floor off the ground using posts in concrete or anchors. Like a free standing deck. Air again circulating under floor.
  3. Concrete pad, only using PT lumber around the perimeter, (sill plate,
2x6 ) attached with anchors embedded in the concrete when it's poured. Then just frame the floor with common lumber.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I just heard an interesting little story on NPR about the cost of plywood. Apparently the military ordered 750,000 sheets to use in building tent platforms in Iraq. I wasn't aware of it, but I guess construction grade plywood has more than doubled in price since December, and the industry is citing this and "supply shortages" as the reason, as well as plant closures and a wet season.

They had a builder on the show who didn't see the logic there, since he said there hasn't been any supply shortage as far as he's seen. Sounds like the industry just trying to take as much out of the consumer's butts as they can.

Mike

Reply to
Dr. Seuss

Well that's quite a difference in size, less than half. 10x8 is pretty small. Mine is 12x8 and I curse the day I decided on that size, although it was somewhat demanded by location (fit between deck posts). Once you put a lawn tractor in their, plus the other miscellaneous yard doo-dads, it will be full. Sheds are like shops, they can never be too big.

Might want to try to hold off a while and go larger, in the back of my mind is to build another shed down the hill ...

Re: 1/2" vs 3/4" plywood I have no idea, it all depends on joist spacing, loading etc. I tend to overbuild so would automatically go for 3/4" IF did a wood floor. I would personally only do a would floor as a last resort.

I poured a slab the same time as footers for the deck so it was pretty cheap since it was just the cost of some extra concrete. If I ever build that other shed I will likely make a perimeter of railroad ties until it's level, then fill it in with crusher run and compact it. You might check the cost of that as well. Around here, crusher run is $20 a ton (about half a cubic yard) and railroad ties are $8 apiece. Heck of a lot cheaper than PT 6x6 at what, about $25 each? I prefer concrete but there is no way to get it down the hill reasonably, and compacted crusher run is a pretty firm surface.

Reply to
Tom Bergman

Sounds like the industry has learned th tricks of the oil business, claim a shortage and double the prices.

Reply to
Leon

Well, it's not as if it grows on trees.

JOAT No sense in being pessimistic - it wouldn't work anyway.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 1 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Wow! You paying three bucks a gallon for regular?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I almost went into shock yesterday at Home Depot. The last time I had bought

7/16 osb, it was $5.99 and that was not more than two or three months ago. Yesterday? $14.99 a sheet. That which I needed? It's still there.

-- JC from Gnat Flats, Texas Home of the Notso OK Corral

Reply to
JC from Gnat Flats

"You obviously forgot to figure in the 2 cases of beer that he bought also."

OOPS!!! I humbly stand corrected. In fact, the correct figure would be moe like sixty-four bags, but let's make it seventy in case the sand is not leveled rght in the forms. Pour the rest down the storm sewer.

Reply to
RM MS

All the money that gets spent on tools and equipment around here, and you guys worry about a few bucks here and there for PT? Use the PT for botom wall plates, at least, and also window sills and door frames. You will never regret it, but if you go cheap there, you may have a lot to be sorry about in a few years.

Use 2=D74" forms, which is actualy 3-1/2", remember? this will require

64 bags, as long as you are careful about your sand base. (use a gage. Caution: you may have to make the gage yourself)
Reply to
RM MS
4" are cheaper if you're buyin' 'em. 8" are fine. There's a difference between cinder block and concrete block as far as load capacity capability. Use more rather than less.

PT ply is not required for the floor if it's off the ground, like yours seemingly will be. I coated the interior of mine with a clear deck coating to help make it easier to clean, less prone to permanent staining.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Wow. 7/16 was 11.75 this weekend with 1/2 going twelve something. I'm planning to do some house remodel stuff but now I am waiting until winter to buy my sheet goods. I'll store in garage for 6 months at those prices.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

The story I got from my supplier is that a major plant burned to the ground and that there had also been several plants shut down because of an oversupply situation which has now become a shortage. 7/16 is running

14.98 at the lumberyard now, don't know what the borgs are getting.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

OSB, something I just learned yesterday, is what the contractors around here use. It is $15.88 where I live. Do you really think it will go down? When does this happen?

Reply to
jm

No wood floor at all. Concrete pad with PT plates anchored to concete. May be able to eliminate the ramp this way, too. Build the bigger shed, you will never be sorry.

Reply to
RM MS

Depending on the conditions one can also live with no extra floor at all, just walls and a roof. I've seen a garage constructed this way (with round "beams", since they were cheaper than rectangular ones at the same strength) used for 20 years (10 years as a garage, 10 years as general garden shed, firewood storage, playground), then upgraded with an inner shell, some insulation and a wooden floor to a very nice workshop, now used since another 20 years ando showing no sgns of degradation; and *not* in a desert but in the at times rather humid climate of germany. The ground is rather hard loam.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Gasoline recently jumped between 10-15 cents in ONE DAY. Reasons given: a refinery shut down during the NE blackout (produces ~4% of nations supply; was closed four days), all of a sudden the situation in Iraq and the middle east is unsettled (where have they been the last 6 months?); and last but not least - masses of people suddenly decided to take that long delayed (due to rainy weather) vacation the week of, or just before their kids go back to school.

Now, I have a bridge for sale if you're interested.

Renata

--snip--

Reply to
Renata

Yes, Jurgen, we also have those in Michigan (USA), usually when a garage is moved. They are fine for equipment storage or workshop if the weather is not too cold.

Reply to
RM MS

Sure does. I'll keep it in mind if the prices don't drop this winter.

WEs

Reply to
clutch