I cannot believe how much wood costs

Page 2 of 3
Yes, Jurgen, we also have those in Michigan (USA), usually when a garage is moved. They are fine for equipment storage or workshop if the weather is not too cold.
All the money that gets spent on tools and equipment around here, and you guys worry about a few bucks here and there for PT? Use the PT for botom wall plates, at least, and also window sills and door frames. You will never regret it, but if you go cheap there, you may have a lot to be sorry about in a few years.
Use 24" forms, which is actualy 3-1/2", remember? this will require 64 bags, as long as you are careful about your sand base. (use a gage. Caution: you may have to make the gage yourself)
Assuming you're going to lay the 6x6s flat (as beams) and the run the joists on top? Why 6x6 and not 4x4? Ever thought about using some concrete blocks to elevate the wood off the ground? (the 4" blocks not 8").
Add a third beam, use 2x6s for joists - cost differential? Could even be 24" apart (be careful - depending on what you're storing).
How heavy's the stuff you're storing? I build a shed to use as a garage for my motorcycle, and used 4x4 "beams" 4' apart, on 4x8x16 concrete blocks, and 2x6's joists @ 12" o.c. IIRC. Worked well for many years (bike now gone, shed still in fine shape).
You need 13 2x's for the joists ((16' / 16") + 1) unless you're doubling up the rim joists, in which case you need 15.
3/4 T&G subflooring costs $27 a sheet? Is this stuff pressure treated (hopefully)?
Renata
wrote:

(no stain for email)
Why not the 8'' blocks? I have about 40 of them. They are the cynder block kind with connector and corner pieces.

4" are cheaper if you're buyin' 'em. 8" are fine. There's a difference between cinder block and concrete block as far as load capacity capability. Use more rather than less.
PT ply is not required for the floor if it's off the ground, like yours seemingly will be. I coated the interior of mine with a clear deck coating to help make it easier to clean, less prone to permanent staining.
Renata

looks about right. You might save a little money if you went with exterior grade plywood instead of PT ply. May not need PT if it's up off the ground.
You are building a substantial floor structure. If you're thinking of going pre-fab to save money just remember you won't be getting a floor (if you get one at all) remotely resembling what you're proposing to build here.
Quality construction costs $$
Can I use 1/2 plywood instead?

I have revised it:
Item Price Quantity Total
4x4 $ 8.97 3 $ 26.91
2x4x8 $ 2.97 9 $ 26.73
2x4x10 $ 4.19 2 $ 8.38
4x8x3/4 $ 17.00 3 $ 51.00
Total: $ 113.02
The shed is now 10x8 and everything is pressure treated except the plywood floor. The 4x4s will be set on cynder blocks.
This shed is the "real" size that I need (was 16x12) and is within my budget. I estimate the rest of the shed to be:
2x4x8 $ 2.61 54 $ 140.94
2x4x8 $ 2.61 6 $ 15.66
2x4x10 $ 3.05 6 $ 18.30
Total: $ 174.90
The shingles and paint will of course be more, but I have to add that to any shed prefab or not.
So it looks like the total is $287.92 or exactly what a prefab metal shed costs.
It wil be holding lawn equipment the heaviest item being a riding lawnmore. I don't know how much it weighs. I can turn it over, so it can't weigh too much. It is a seventeen year old Snapper. The floor should hold it. The cynder blocks are 8'' off the ground so I have to figure out some way to build a strong enough ramp to cover the 8 plus the 4 for the skids, plus the 4 for the 2x4, plus the 3/4 inch floor. I wonder if gravity will soon set in an hurt the floor at that height. Is that too high?

<snip>

pretty small. Mine is 12x8 and I curse the day I decided on that size, although it was somewhat demanded by location (fit between deck posts). Once you put a lawn tractor in their, plus the other miscellaneous yard doo-dads, it will be full. Sheds are like shops, they can never be too big.
Might want to try to hold off a while and go larger, in the back of my mind is to build another shed down the hill ...
Re: 1/2" vs 3/4" plywood I have no idea, it all depends on joist spacing, loading etc. I tend to overbuild so would automatically go for 3/4" IF did a wood floor. I would personally only do a would floor as a last resort.
I poured a slab the same time as footers for the deck so it was pretty cheap since it was just the cost of some extra concrete. If I ever build that other shed I will likely make a perimeter of railroad ties until it's level, then fill it in with crusher run and compact it. You might check the cost of that as well. Around here, crusher run is $20 a ton (about half a cubic yard) and railroad ties are $8 apiece. Heck of a lot cheaper than PT 6x6 at what, about $25 each? I prefer concrete but there is no way to get it down the hill reasonably, and compacted crusher run is a pretty firm surface.
I just heard an interesting little story on NPR about the cost of plywood. Apparently the military ordered 750,000 sheets to use in building tent platforms in Iraq. I wasn't aware of it, but I guess construction grade plywood has more than doubled in price since December, and the industry is citing this and "supply shortages" as the reason, as well as plant closures and a wet season.
They had a builder on the show who didn't see the logic there, since he said there hasn't been any supply shortage as far as he's seen. Sounds like the industry just trying to take as much out of the consumer's butts as they can.
Mike

Of course. It's the American way. Lie, cheat and steal. Anything for a buck.
Sounds like the

Snip

Sounds like the industry has learned th tricks of the oil business, claim a shortage and double the prices.

Wow! You paying three bucks a gallon for regular?
Wes