I am closing my eyes

Page 1 of 2
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all the way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the blade from above. *yikes*
I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.
--
Froz...

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
- Frank Zappa

He must have heard such use was worth about a million and a half...
John

Hell I'd even loan them my Dewalt corded reciprocating saw, seems like a safer choice. They have a Cordless B&D Firestorm POS recip, they seem to have stopped using when the table saw came out.
My windows are open, I am sitting inside cringing every time I hear the table saw fire up.
--
Froz...

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

Think I'd at least try.
If they end up hurting themselves and you don't make the effort...............
Lew .
On 5/28/10 6:33 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ripping 1x4 PT into approx 1x1, one guy in front of the saw feeding, one guy behind who starts pulling the wood through the blade. They are attempting to pinch some wood lathe at the top sections of a fence.
--
Froz...

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

I'd still try, but that's me.
Lew

...and if you loan them the reciprocating saw and they get hurt...
On 5/28/10 7:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

eggsactly ;-)
This is Canada, not the USA, but I don't need to get accused of handing him a different weapon, and lord knows I ain't doing the work for them.
--
Froz...

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

Would you be willing to show them a better way?
Lew
On 5/28/10 8:55 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

table saw although I have used them before, I am not an expert and would not feel qualified to teach someone else on proper technique.
I can however, recognize something really stupid.
--
Froz...

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

Thought you said you had a DeWalt Sawzall?
Lew
On 5/28/10 9:15 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

They were finished with the limbs by then, actually about by the time I noticed what was happening. Sawzall is obviously the wrong tool for ripping strips like mentioned above. Table saw is, but .... as I said I am not qualified for that lesson.
--
Froz...

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

--------------------------------------- What's that old saying about taking care of fools?
Sounds like they escaped possible serious injury.
No harm, no foul.
Lew
Sounds like they had

That was my initial thought. Why don't the manufacturers put a bark detector on those things? Irresponsible bastards.
--

-MIKE-

wrote the following:

Hey, if it had a bark detector, he'd have to stop feeding stray neighborhood dogs through it. <groan>
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------
On Fri, 28 May 2010 15:52:35 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

Not if I'm on the jury...
Nor would the McDonald's coffee idiot have been awarded. I consider that one close to a Darwin award - that level of stupid is a terminal condition...
John
On Fri, 28 May 2010 18:50:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote:

Oh to live in the USA. I've got a burn on my arm that I got by reaching up and tipping a cup of coffee off a table. I was only a year old at the time. But, from the all the ridiculous law suits I hear about in the USA, I probably could have sued and have lived on easy street the rest of my life.
Don't forget that 12 jurors, unanomously awarded the woman the 2-3 million dollar damages and sufferance award. People ridicule the amazing outcome but know very little of the situation.
McDonald's old cups were made from a rigid styrofoamlike materia. The lid made the barrel shaped cup, very firm and solid until you pulled hard to tug the tight lid off. At this point the cup would collapse and your firm grip would extrude the contents into the air, like a squeezed Heinz Ketchup packette. I had one explode on me inside their restaurant and stain the ceiling, years ago. I would think this construction may have been partially responsible for the award.
BTW: I understand a few years later a follow up court rolled back the award to a few hundred thousand$$.

On May 28, 6:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote:

Have you ever read the facts regarding the Liebeck v McDonald's case?
I'm not saying she wasn't an idiot - in fact she was found partially at fault - but if you Google the incident, you''ll find that Micky D's had settled over 700 coffee-burn related incidents prior to the Liebeck case and admitted being aware that their coffee was kept at a temperature that could cause (and had caused) 3rd degree burns in a matter of seconds.
You'll also find that Liebeck tried to settle the case for $20K to cover her medical bills but Micky D's refused - offering her $800 - even though they had previously settled coffee burn cases for close to $500K. That's the only reason she brought the suit: They had previously settled cases for huge sums yet refused coverage for her $20K in medical bills.
The widely quoted punitive damage award of $2.7MM (2-day's coffee revenue ) was eventually reduced to less than $500K, even though the judge (not the jury) called McDonalds conduct reckless, callous, and willful.
As I stated earlier, you have to be a idiot to open a hot cup of coffee while holding the cup between your legs, but you gotta love Mickey's reason for not turning down the temperature: 700 incidents in 10 years is equivalent to about 1 in 24 million cups, which is "basically trivially different from zero." In other words, according to McDonalds, those 700 people basically didn't exist.