hygienic repair on chopping board

i have an old and much loved wooden chopping board that is constructed with strips of wood that are glued together. at one place the wood strips are bending away from each other leaving a thin crack.
since its unhygienic, i want to fill it in with something. I have some PVA waterproof adhesive which is quite thick and would probably fill the crack up well, but would this be unadvisable using a chemical adhesive like PVA ?
thanks for any advice.
Rip it at the crack and reglue. WL

thanks, the question was also about PVA

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:39:24 GMT, "JWBH"

I know you asked about re-gluing, but I have to second the suggestion to rip and reglue. Filling a crack does not feel good to me. If the wood is moving, then the crack may reopen. Strongest method to hold things in place is rip and re-glue.
I had a cutting board which developed cracks and like JWBH suggested, I ripped and reglued. A few years later the board still looks good as new for the glue joints. Lots of knife marks from repeated use.
Dave Paine.

The PVA will work, but it is not a good filler material. You may have to do a few applications and some will get smeared on the to leaving a mess too. In any case, it is not harmful or toxic.
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 15:13:37 GMT, "JWBH"

The best idea is not to fill the crack, but to get rid of it entirely. I had a built-in cutting board in the kitchen that was doing the same thing. Last summer, I removed it, cut the separating sections apart on the tablesaw, then planed everything to a uniform and flat thickness and reglued it together. You can't see where the cracks ever were, it's perfectly flat and square and good for another couple decades of use.