HVLP hose and fitting

Finished my homebrew turbine air supply using a 3 stage Lamb blower and have A Graco gun sitting in the box. Two questions. Is there a name, number or source for the guns 3/4 inch quick connect fitting? Can't seem to locate them at McMaster Carr or Grainger. I need the famale part that goes on the hose and fits over the gun part. Secondly, anyone have any luck using any kind of locally available tubing for the air supply hose. Garden hose maybe? Thanks

The couplers and the air hose are commonly available everywhere. Go to any auto parts store, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, or just about any of a thousand other places. No - a garden hose will not work. 50' of air hose will cost you $20-$30. 25' a little less. Granger has all of these parts. But like I said - so do those other places. You should probably take your gun with you and to the auto parts store and let them help you first hand.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike in Arkansas wrote:

Thanks Mike. Do you have a url for the Milton site. I tried Milton.com but that's not it.
Garden hose will work maybe a bit stiff and heavy. Also garden hose quick couplers work they fit my turbinaire.

Thanks Russ, I'll look into that. Kind of logical since I believe the fitting on the turbine units are the same as water hose connectors.
Just got back from HD and the large size water hose quick couplers are an exact match for the male connector on the Graco gun. So Russ and Craig are correct. I was going nuts looking for something in the air hose connector line. Who wodda thunk to look in the gardening dept. Less than $4.00 and fits like a glove. Will have to drill out the auto water shut off sleave but that's no big deal.

Good for ya Mike. Success is always good. So, now you've got me pretty confused. Can you post a link to your compressor and gun? I'd like to see what this setup is.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
hey Mike. I find myself generally and moderately confused at all times so don't worry about it. What I built was not a compressor for a standard spray gun but a turbine that uses a multi-stage vacuum motor. HVLP stands for High Volumn Low Pressure and is a relatively (10-15 years of so) new way of spraying. It uses a different kind of gun that uses a LOT of air at a low pressure to atomize the paint. Because it uses a large amount of air is the reason I needed a special fitting that is 3/4 inch inside diameter. Turns out it is a water hose quick connection. Been lots of discussion here over the years on HVLP so you can serch the newsgroup or DAGS to find out more. Received a couple of other emails requesting specific info so I will try to post a few pictures of what I ended up with. Not pretty but hoping it works okay. Might try it out this weekend. Regards to all who had suggestions. It helped a lot.

Hi Mike-
I do a lot of painting (automotive), and I'm quite familiar with HVLP, but I have to admit that the concept of a water hose on a gun is a new one on me. That's the part that bowled me over. I'd be quite interested in seeing the pics of what you built. How does it spray? Do you have a url for the gun? Always interested in what folks are doing with this stuff.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike, here is a url to the manual for the gun. http://www.graco.com/Distributors/DLibrary.nsf/Files/309317 /$file/309317a.pdf This is a url to the turbine I got. http://www.lambelectric.com/support/prod/11676500.pdf It's a 3-Stage Tangential Bypass model
Got both the turbine and gun on ebay. The turbine quite cheaply. I started the turbine up today with 25 feet of 3/4 inch hose on the outlet. Even without the gun on the end of the hose I was very suprised at how much air was lost compared to just the outlet of the turbine unit itself. I've no experience to determine if it is enough air and decided not to try and spray anything at this time as a couple of weaknesses in my construction became immediately apparent and I didn't want to damage the turbine. I will remedy these next week and try again. I need to secure the PVC adapters I used to adapt the turbine outlet to the 3/4 inch hose connector. And I need to redesign how the turbine is mounted to eliminate deformation of the turbine housing. If results are acceptable I'll post some pics.
The couplers come both ways with or without water shutoff. Just thought you should know.