Human Stupidity strikes again

Page 2 of 2
And probably facing hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills
John
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:49:50 -0500, "Young_carpenter"

John Crea notes:

Or his insurance company is. Think what that does to YOUR medical insurance premiums.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
Or if NOT insured, think what it is doing to the local taxes in the county/city where it happened
On 16 Feb 2004 00:22:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

John Crea responds:

Huh? How is tax money involved?
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
Charlie Self wrote:

My place of employment is considered the "county" hospital. As such, we turn no one away, whether they have insurance or not. The county picks up the bills for those without insurance. Guess who picks up the county's bills?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

Whether it is insurance or the county that pays the costs, "premiums" will need to go up to cover the costs.
--
Best regards
Han
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

We're a non-profit as well. Last time I checked we were giving away about $16mil a year. We all pay for it, and that's why nurses at Community and non-profits get paid less than at not-for or for-profit hospitals. Just an FYI.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
John \ n 16 Feb 2004 09:17:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

John Crea writes:

I'd say the hospital gets a tax deduction for non-payment, in some cases, but I don't know how it works for non-profits. I know how it works for me. I don't get paid for an article, I can deduct my expenses. The rest, I get to eat.
I'd guess in some cases, the hospital gets to eat part of the bill, in other cases we do.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
Charlie Self wrote:

It may seem that way on the surface, but they would not exist doing charitable work all the time. We pay either in goverment subsidies or higher insurance premiums for the rest of us. There is no FREE healthcare. If too many people can't pay, the price of an aspirin will go from $4 to $6.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hell's bells, it was already $40 the last time I was in a hospital.
Yikes, Don't remind me. Area insurance is the highest in the state, (the county is the highest in the area) and the state has some of the highest in the country.
--

"Charlie Self" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m14.aol.com...
OMG, my nightmare come true, only for someone else. I think I'll buy some more clamps and hold downs for my miter saw.
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:49:50 -0500, "Young_carpenter"

Young_carpenter wrote:

A college roommate had a good start at doing that. He was a building contractor (before coming back to college to get an electrical engineering degree -- doesn't require strength in both arms...) and to "save time" he always worked with the circular saw guard pinned back. After several years of that nonsense statistics finally caught up with him and he had a bad kickback. The wide scar went from his wrist to almost the elbow. It was deep enough the bone was partially severed.
The guard would in all probability kept him from anything more than scratches and bruises, he said.
-- Mark