How to stain Anderon doors?

Well, it's too late now for me...but I tried to stain some Anderson sliding doors( you know, the ones with the white painted melamine exterior and the wood veneer interior) but I couldn't get the veneer to accept stain for beans. Not only that, but the stain is blotchy and definitely not the color I was after. Now I'm stuck with them. Plus. each set(I goofed twice!) has glue lines that wouldn't stain at all. I expected better quality from Anderson products. Any hints as to how to do this the correct way in the future?
After my experience with Andersen I'd suggest Marvin or Pella. I believe that Andersen has better marketing than product.
Phil