How To Make Adjustable Spreader

I need to make an adjustable spreader. All the thought I gave it is for naught.
I want to basically use to small pieces of wood, slay 6" X 3" and someway to make them adjustable. Maybe use a wrench to turn a bolt to make both pieces expand or contract.
The outsides of these two pieces need to remain smooth.
I plan to use it to help clamp sides of vehicle cabs, etc, where there is not much to glue to. Using this jig would permit putting maximium pressure on the sides without crushing them inwards.
I may be looking for the impossible.
Any ideas?
Thanks Much
--
http://www.sugarbearswoodworks.com

Get the width of wood you want, and length you need, and some threaded rod, or long carriage head bolt and a wing nut. You can put a piece of 1 x whatever in as the pivot point, and the rod on one end. It will look like the letter "H", not including the wingnut and bolt. Another advantage is that you can cut different length pivot blocks, to get spreading at different sizes, and keep close to parallel. A rubber band around the whole thing at the pivot point will help keep everything together, while you get it into place. The other end from the bolt will spread, if you put the wingnut on the outside, or as a clamp, if you put the wingnut on the inside.
--
Jim in NC

Cam clamps are used on a lot of jigs. Degree of "lift" determines pressure.
Can't use wedges?

Appreciate the idea, but wedges won't work. I have at times in the past cut a block the same width as the inside width, but this is a problem if the width varies.
I'm going to give Morgans idea a try, sounds like it may be what I need.

--
http://www.sugarbearswoodworks.com