How to make a cooler?

Page 1 of 2
I am a college student at a school with a dry campus. However, next semester i will be living in my fraternity house and those arent dry ever. I was just wondering what yall would recommend using if I am trying to build a coffee table taht will also be able to double as an ice chest?? thank you very much.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
| I am a college student at a school with a dry campus. However, next | semester i will be living in my fraternity house and those arent dry | ever. I was just wondering what yall would recommend using if I am | trying to build a coffee table taht will also be able to double as | an ice chest?? thank you very much.
Four Coleman ice chests side-by-side with a door on top. One of the house rules needs to be that two adjacent ice chests cannot be pulled out at the same time - DAMHIKT.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
> I am a college student at a school with a dry campus. However, next > semester i will be living in my fraternity house and those arent dry > ever. I was just wondering what yall would recommend using if I am > trying to build a coffee table taht will also be able to double as an > ice chest??
A couple of big Igloo coolers, 50 lbs of ice, 3-4 cases, and you are in business.
Biggest problem:
Finding someone to make a beer/ice run<G>
Been there, done that.
Lew

luckily my roommate is 22 so that wont be a problem. haha.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Me, too. I was the oldest in my particular suite, so I got elected to make the liquor runs. I can remember making one on a moped. I had loaded down the back of the thing so much it was all I could do to steer it.... the front end was barely touching the ground. However, being the skilled and natural athlete that I was, I managed it without breaking a single bottle.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

My roommate was arrested for driving drunk on a moped. My moped -- I was too poor to afford a car at the time. I carried many a case of beer on that thing, the beer balanced between my legs. A mighty 50cc two-stroke engine, one speed, top speed of almost 30mi/hr on flat ground. But it still beat the hell out of walking. I must have put 10,000 to 20,000 miles on that little thing.
Couple years back an acquaintance of mine made a couple out of reclaimed RV refrigerators. Removed cooling equipment and rolled it on its back and hooked up a drain. Built a wood case for it. Each held something like 6 cases of barley pop plus ice. The pair was enough for one weekend at rendezvous.
Regards, Roy
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:11:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

On Jun 12, 6:11 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The coolers available today will far and away exceed the capabilities of the "olden" wooden stuff. Enjoy in moderation! DAMHIKT. Tom
As usual I can't wait to post, and haven't read anything else yet. You need to know this. I bought a mini fridge. A std. white one. The type with a freezer up top inside (with a flap down door) , a full height swinging front door, which had a bottle holder shelves on the inside of the front door. I got it new on sale. I measured every dimension and took a picture with stickies inside showing them all.
I was into home brewing beer at the time. I would brew my own batch, and used to have my own brown plastic bottles. At the home brew place you could clean out your bottles, and fill up using their equipment. Can't remember about the caps, whether to keep em or not. Doesn't matter. I found out they would just as easily fill your entire home brew batch into keg(s), rahter than bottles. The whole thing only took an hour, hmm. Make a new batch, and fill up yer keg(s). There was about seven and a half cases (24x341mL) for $80 or something
Then I went to the Brewers Retail, the only place to buy beer in Ontario, and bought their taps. You may have cheaper options. The chrome plated one, the same one at all the bars. Just used the black plastic handle it came with, but could add your own. The kit came with all the hoses and fittings to connect to a CO2 bottle, which come in std. sizes. I think I got the 5 litre size? You get the CO2 bottle from a safety supply place, where they sell fire extinguishers. They refill them for $10 or something. Its just compressed gas, same as all taps. Bottle to keg. Keg to tap. Std, threads, all included, with hoses, no loop back. Bottle pressurizer keg, don't drink it.
Kegs themselves can be bought form the Beer Store (Breweres Retail store), or directly at the brewery, where you can measure the kegs. The kegs are proprietarty and are a multitude of varying sizes in all the capacities. You leave a deposit ($50) and keep the keg, no questions asked. Its yours. Or bring it back for $50, or a new keg.
Then I cut off the white plastic off the inside of the front door leaving cardboard and foam, hole saw a (~3/4"?) hole in the front of the door for the tap, attaching flush and tight with a threaded shaft and nut (included), the CO2 bottle sits on the back ledge of the fridge, behind the lower crisper area, the keg sits on that floor bottom. I had to take the frezeer door off, then the neck and hoses fit perfectly, and the temp was perfect. To the degree.
There a clamping valve that goes to the CO2 tank (had a pressure guage somewhere in there I think), clear plastic hoses, fittings, a front tap, the keg, a fridge, and any beer. Nothing else. The beer is cold, and its not wasting energy. One keg in, one keg out.
Best beer I ever had. It was heavenly. I had to sell it, I drank too much. Now I'm down to 6 a day, thank god. Sold the whole thing away for less than $300, including the (one?) keg. You could put a lock on it. And you don't need to homebrew. Theres guys who run hoses to their living room.

-
actually the hoses were shiny black, not clear
-
and maybe the bottle was on the floor. It was tight.

-
If you've got enough brains to study, you've got enough brains to drink eight beers while you're doin' it; that's what I always say.
-
You can fit bottles in all kinds of places, and the door should open just fine.
You may also want to look into sheet insulation with foil on the sides.
Or a full sized fridge and keg(s).

-

I have some thoughts here. First if you are going to be drinking often, keg beer is cheaper than bottles or cans, and if you rely on refrigeration then you never have to worry about running out of ice or draining the cooler.
I think I would search for a refrigerator that can be converted into a keg storage/dispenser, and then pass the hat for the necessary plumbing for the tubes, the taps and the CO2. This will also reduce the amount of clean up required and reduce the amount of trips to the liquor store.
--
Roger Shoaf
On Jun 12, 9:11 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

2 bottles of port 1 bottle of orange juice 1 40-pounder of vodka 1 bag of ice slice up an orange to make the chicks think you're 'gourmet'.
THAT is how you make a cooler.
Robatoy wrote:

Not to expose my lack of education and couth, but what the hell is a "40-pounder" of vodka?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:21:44 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Best guess 5 gallons, with water equal to 8 lbs a gallon it is a reasoned guess though.
Mark

40 ounces... it's a tough-guy-spit-on-the-floor kinda expression. A quart, in these necks of the woods, is 40 ounces....'cuz our gallons are 160 ounces. Imperial and all that rot. A case of beer is a two-bah-four... or toofer.
You guys will have to work a little harder to become a Canuck.

Sorry I have a hard enough time remembering how to be an "american". But upon the beaches of North Carolina, the drink was 5 gallons Hi C, 2 gallons Ever Clear, and cut up fruits.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
Markem wrote:
> Sorry I have a hard enough time remembering how to be an "american". > But upon the beaches of North Carolina, the drink was 5 gallons Hi C, > 2 gallons Ever Clear, and cut up fruits.
Went to a CO-OP, school (work a quarter, school a quarter).
One quarter my roommate worked in the pharmacy at the Cleveland Clinic.
Pharmacies have 195 proof grain ethyl.
More than once a large cough syrup size bottle would show up in our 13th floor room containing 195.
This required a visit to the local grocery for some Hawaiian Punch.
Middle of winter, Cleveland, OH, 13 floors up, 10 minutes on the window ledge, no ice necessary.
Lew