How to handle telemarketers

NoOne N Particular wrote in news:oSsIj.3739$p24.3117 @nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

Would not always work for me. Both grandkids and a cowoker sometimes cannot get the words out right away. Hope your grandkids are faster, and that you don't have a coworker as I am referring to.

Reply to
Han

You want more time than 1 second? Don't answer with "hello", many of the automated calling systems recognize "hello" and initiate the transfer process. If you answer, "this'sbrent",it slows down the process of transfer and gives you more time to react.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I only have one grandkid and she is 4. She has called a couple of times (with mommy or daddy's supervision of course), and there are plenty of other background noises that I can recognize. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

We don't get many telemarketers, and I hadn't thought about it, but I always answer the phone, "Charlie Self." With the TMs and other dips (usually politicians or their reps, at least this year), there is quite a long pause before the machine switches over. I do dump the call after a couple of seconds.

You spoiled one of my illusions. I always thought the delay in answering was because the idiots calling, who almost always then ask for Mr. Self, couldn't understand English. Most of them don't speak it at all well.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Probably this one:

I like this call more. The hosting web site is probably not one to go poking around if you have a weak stomach, though!

Reply to
PCPaul

Several years ago a telemarketer called. First thing he asked was how I was doing. My quick mind replied, "I'm not doing to good. Life is going downhill real fast and I'm just on my way to end it all!" And hung up. Three minutes later one of our towns finest called. Wanted to know how things were going. "Fine," I replied. Yeah, the reason I'm calling is that a telemarketer just called and said he called you and that you said you were going to commit suicide, blah, blah, blah. Then I had to explain to the officer that I was fooling around with him (the telemarketer) and that everything was fine like I said. From then on I just hang up, don't say a word, just hang up.

Been thinking about them air horns on a can of air lately, tho.

Reply to
user

If it's a woman, I let her ramble on for a few minutes, then I say, 'can I ask a question' the reply is always 'yes', so I ask 'what colour knickers have you got on?' this usually results in an immediate switch off!

Reply to
alan holmes

"alan holmes" wrote in news:KgCNj.48408$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

This is similar to what my friend Butch does - use thelemarketer's calls as an excuse for what he calls "innuendo phone sex" - never coming out and using explicit words, only euphamisms and double-entendre. I wish I had recordings, the results are amusing to say the least.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Using a Peter Lori voice ask, "How large are your breasts?"

Reply to
Phisherman