How to handle telemarketers

Page 2 of 3
: After years on the various Do-Not-Call lists, and a phone company : "Privacy Manager" subscription, I have to ask...
: What's a telemarketer? <G>
Beats me. I've got a a land-line with the least expensive plan, attached to a single phone with the ringer turned off. I need the line for DSL, and I can use it if there's a problem with my cell phone. I use my cell phone for everything else.
No calls from politicians, charities, or telemarketers. The only calls I get are from family, friends, and work.
--- Chip
Chip Buchholtz wrote:

Don't get too complacent. Telemarketers have started to invade cell phone space. Right now, we only get one, it's from some auto warranty scam. Have thus far just been hanging up on it; if it keeps up, we are going to have to start registering cell phones on the do not call list.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:58:51 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I did that three years ago.
Why not? It's free and easy!

Got that one on my work cell phone too. Pissed me off the first time, the second time I happened to have a few minutes. Kept the guy on for 15 minutes. I told him I wanted to get a warranty on a car I just bought, a '91 Buick with 186,000 miles. Told him I was only the third owner so it was in really good shape. He asked me how much I paid for it and I told him $3600. I could hear him choke at that but he kept his pitch going. They wanted $2200 for the warranty. Told him it sounded like a good deal and I'd try to get the money. He called me back in an hour.
The things we do when bored.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I asked him which car he was calling about, since the notice said that my warranty was running out. He explained that they had everything listed by car, not by owner, so he couldn't look it up for me. I made up two cars like you described, and he confirmed those were the ones in his database. I told him (as if he didn't already know) that he was a lying scum, then hung up.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

    mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Thanks for the link. I think I had it at one time, but it doesn't show up in my TreePad file (it's there now).

I'm with you, but my approach is slightly different. First, an unlisted number works wonders, but eventually, engaging in commerce in this world will result in your number appearing on someone's list. We're coming up on 7 years with the same number and still only get maybe one or two calls a week.
The rest of the solution is caller-id. I don't answer any call if I don't recognize the number. It's as simple as that.
Tom

Had "Privacy Manager". It was OK but this is cheaper and easier (assumuing one already has caller ID).
http://www.phonetray.com/ptfree_features.htm

What's a modem? You have one of those? Is it like a floppy drive?
<snip>

Yes, I have a modem. I use it for my fax program, dial-up when my DSL occasionally goes down and for the above referenced caller ID program that allows me to avoid the $84 a year I was paying for "Privacy Manager". PS....I also have a floppy drive.

I really don't want a modem in my PC, as I see it as a security risk. I do have a $75 HP networked printer / scanner / fax that's always on, but it won't work as a dial-up modem.
On a different thought train...
I'd also have to leave my PC on all the time, if I actually had a modem. I shut my notebook completely off when I'm sleeping and away from home.
How much electricity does your PC use? <G>
I've seen estimates from $5/yr. for a notebook that's shut off when not in use, to ~ $150/yr. for a desktop that shuts the monitor off in power save mode, going over $400 for a power-user system acting as a server. Privacy Manager is part of a package, so I really don't pay $84/yr. for it.
Wouldn't I have to rewire all the other sets in my home to allow incoming calls to pass through a PC modem first? I have nine phones.
Will Caller ID still appear on the DirecTV boxes for my wife to see? That's a biggie!
Does the program offer unidentified callers an option to leave a voice mail?
If I was still on dial-up and still had a computer with a modem, the program does look like it has some merit for a $10 software, but with broadband and a notebook...

So, you get the first ring on all 7 phones? The caller ID data block is sent once, between the first and second ring. The only way to not get the first ring would be to have the PC answer and cut the call through the modem's voice jack after the Caller ID info was verified by the software.
This is why I asked about the other boxes (DirectTV) in the houses. If they aren't sitting on the line when the burst arrives, after the first ring, they don't get the data.
It's very possible I'm misunderstanding the capabilities of the program, compared with the Privacy Manager service. I understood that none of your phones rang at all when unwanted calls arrived.
With PM, I get no ring at all, with the callers being offered the option of leaving voice mail or to manually key in the number, which then rings through and appears normally on displays.

My senior-citizen mother has blocked caller ID, and hung up on the Privacy Manager message, requesting her to key in her number, for the first 5 times she called me after I got it. She didn't listen to the message and thought she'd dialed the wrong number <G>
Some of my out-of-state co-workers call from blocked phones, but they actually listen to the message, so they just key in their number.

The author requests a $10 donation in the FAQ. Since you're saving $84/yr., shouldn't you cut him in?
I'm not trying to break 'em off on you, as I can see a real value in the program, if I was still single and had a desktop or server and modem at home.
It's kind of like Linux... I really like it, but my wife also uses our home computer, and I don't want to own two machines... <G>
B A R R Y wrote:

I use a free program which is similar called "CallAlert"
The ring(s) and caller ID is passed through to the other phones/devices. If the calling number is "blacklisted" the modem gives a momentary off-hook to answer and dump the call.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

My phones always ring at least once with any call but with an unidentified call 9 out of 10 times the phone will ring only once before the program initiates the modem for about 10 seconds and then hangs up.

Perhaps I would if I used that program but I've already paid for the other one I actually do use that I've previously mentioned.

You and I must be the only two people left using a fax modem. We just got new computers at work and they don't have them installed. I'm putting in my old one though. No one else faxes from their computer.
I figured as long as I was at it, I'd check out fax programs. Win Fax is no longer published and I didn't find any new ones so I'm putting Win fax back. I use if mostly for faxing purchase orders and notes where the other party does not have email.
wrote in message

me a basic but fully functional fax machine. I can scan and send multiple pages as well as receive and print. I need to manually instruct the program to receive as I do not have a dedicated fax line. If I'm expecting a fax I ask for the sending # and check it against caller ID before manually initiating the fax program. I have to manually install the fax program from the XP install disc after a re-format as it doesn't automatically install with the OS.
Please contact me off list RE: XP/Fax
Lew
Charley wrote:

There's a notorious outfit in Florida that does that, usually calling itself Card Member Services, their automated operator is usually Heather or Jonathan, I've reported them to the FL AG, I've told them to remove my number, I've strung them along on the phone, nothing has worked so far. They people doing the calls don't care, they're being paid to collect sales leads, that's it. Lately their staff seem better trained at recognizing and hanging up on someone who is playing them, departing from their script in any way now gets me a hang-up. The only thing that's really going to slow them down is being hauled into court by the govt., and as the govt. in Florida apparently has a history of happily turning a blind eye to scammers and spammers that seems a faint hope.
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:29:40 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

Probably this one:
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_PjRXV5l8

I like this call more. The hosting web site is probably not one to go poking around if you have a weak stomach, though!
<http://www.fugly.com/audio/201/brothers.html