How to finish Yellow Poplar?

Hello,
I made a bowl out of yellow poplar and am trying to figure out the best way to finish it. This is the first woodworking I've done since I took woodshop in jr high almost twenty years ago, so the more detail you can provide, the better.
I like the way the bowl looks now so I wonder if there is a durable, easy to apply finish that won't alter the appearance of the natural wood. I was thinking of using tung oil at first because I thought that would be the easiest thing to apply, but after reading a bit I'm thinking it might not be the best choice. Even though this is no work of art, I'd like to finish it off right. I'm looking for something water resistant and food safe that is not too much work to apply.
Any advice on what works/doesn't work with yellow poplar would be greatly appreciated.
SM said:

Mineral oil. Apply until the wood will not absorb any more. Buff it out.
FWIW,
Greg G.

Then watch as it picks up any dirt from the fingers that handle it, bleeds oil when set in the sunlight, and catches dust on the oily surface.
Or, use a standard wood finish if you're going to have the bowl for dry use, a curing oil like tung or walnut without resins, or lacquer.
Don't use surface finishes if you're going to use it for hot popcorn. The Old Maids will make blisters.

Personally I like what oil based varnishes do to the appearance, but since you don't...
Tung oil won't give you much water resistance.

Walnut oil. It will cure, and won't change the appearance of the wood too much.
djb
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he

I always like latex paint on poplar. <G>
Barry